Copperband Butterfly? reef safe?

rocko918

I have noticed people talking about them lately. I have never thought of it as being reef safe. Those who have them, have you had problems with it picking on any corals? I would love to get one but was worried about it not being reef safe.

Let me know.

Thanks

I've never had a problem with them. I saw mine once "sample" a feeding tentacle of my green brain, but he never touched it again. I've got sps, lps, clams, zoanthids, rics, anemones, etc...

You can be sure that if you have any feather dusters (big or small), they will be history though...

This is also a very sensitive fish, and I would not recommend them for newly established tanks (or reefers, for that matter...). I'm not saying you fall under either of the two (I dunno...), but just stating my opinion.

They can be difficult to get acclimated to frozen foods as well. Some people's eat right away, others need to be "trained."

If you do get one and it won't eat, try fresh mussles, opened on the half shell. Almost any picky eater can't even refuse them. Feed your normal frozen foods when the mussle is placed in the tank. Over time, mine learned that mussle and this other stuff in the tank is food. After a while, I weaned him off mussels and strictly on to frozen. I'm sure fresh clams will work as well.

I think it goes without saying (but I'll say anyway... ;) ) that I would not try any rescue jobs with this one. It needs to be a healthy specimen. Steven Pro pointed out at the winter meeting that one needs to look closely at the mouth of this fish. If there is any redness on the mouth, it is likely a gonner.

Cheers

Mike

i have had 3 of them (not at the same time) 2 were fine one nipped at my clam all 3 were eating mysis shrimp like crazy but none lasted loner then a few months

I've had 2 of them. Both were no problem with corals. a racoon was a different story.