RO DI Filter problem

Inspector

Maybe someone has some input for my delima. I have am AquaFX Barracuda with a 55g drum as my holding container. There is a float valve in the container and a hydraulic automatic shut off, as instructed by the directions, to control level and shut off. Everything was working the way it was puposed to with the exception of filtered to waste water ratio due to the fact I am on well water with low pressure. So, I added a booster pump and pressurer switch in line before the rodi unit as instructed. The situation is even with the booster pump not running and the float valve off there is waste water continuously flowing now. Any ideas?

Mike

Three things I can think of. One, the unit may have a flush valve or bypass valve on it that might be open. Two, a flow restrictor is missing or not working right. Three, and the more likely reason, is there is not enough back pressure to fully close the auto shutoff valve.

Do you have a check valve between the RO housing and the ASV?

If it is a seperate item, than no. I am using the ASV that I was instructed to use with float valve. According to instructions, I do have the ASV installed correctly and they do not show a check valve. Is this something I should be using?

If it is a seperate item, than no. I am using the ASV that I was instructed to use with float valve. According to instructions, I do have the ASV installed correctly and they do not show a check valve. Is this something I should be using?

I can't help much other than to say I've had more problems with ASV's than I can count. At last count I had 4 or 5 of them lying around. All seemed to work fine.....for a short while, then they stopped (just as you mention waste water continues to flow = $$$$$$).

The only permanent solution was to use a manual or electric switch prior to the RO unit, sucks but after so much trouble I finally gave up.

Normally a check valve is used when using an ASV. See the link for what one may look like. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/Installing-an-auto-shut-off-valve

You will want to place the check valve between the RO pressure vessel and the ASV on the product line. This holds the back pressure on the ASV which will help keep it close.

Also, if it was running normal before then you may also have some air in the ASV which needs to be removed.

(edited)

Thanks for the input Coral Hind. I'll check somethings out when I get home tonite.

ErikS, I know what you mean. I am trying to think of a way to hook up an electric shut off solenoid before the entire unit in conjuction with the booster pump pressure valve. I have a 110v soleniod, I'll need to get a 12v one sence the pump and pressure valve work off 12v dc. Maybe put it inline electricly with the pump so when the pressure valve activates the pump, it also activates the solenoid to allow water to flow to the pump

Edited by Inspector

Thanks for the input Coral Hind. I'll check somethings out when I get home tonite.

ErikS, I know what you mean. I am trying to think of a way to hook up an electric shut off solenoid before the entire unit in conjuction with the booster pump pressure valve. I have a 110v soleniod, I'll need to get a 12v one sence the pump and pressure valve work off 12v dc. Maybe put it inline electricly with the pump so when the pressure valve activates the pump, it also activates the solenoid to allow water to flow to the pump

You could do that or use a relay, either would work. Upside is you can use a solenoid with brass if it's before the RO unit as it will get filtered out.

You could use a break out box with a float switch on the ACIII and have it turn both the solenoid and the booster pump on.

Won't work. Long distance relationship. They never work....lol