75 GPD Flow Restrictor

quazi

My 75 gallon/day RO unit produces very little RO water. The rejection water is produced in great quantities. So, I replaced all my filters (my RO filter only had about a year on it), the auto-shutoff valve, float valves - pretty much everything BUT the flow restrictor. So, I need to pick one up. They are under $5.00 on line, but shipping is more than that. I would also like to get one ASAP. So, if anyone has any idea about where to get on locally, let me know.

Also, if anyone has other ideas why I my RO unit is not working well, please speak up.

When I've had this problem it has been the RO filter - and I've had this problem a couple times. My 150gpd filter went bad after only 6 or 8 mos. I was told that the company that makes that filter isn't dow so they're not made to the same standards as the filmtec. Once I replaced the RO filter, all flow problems went away. However, during troubleshooting, AWI did point me to the flow restrictor and I replaced it with no change - so that is definitely a possibility. If you have an AWI unit, I'd contact them as they sent me one for free (it's for the 150gpd filter or I'd pass it along to you). You could also contact them directly and see if they'll do something on the shipping for you since it just needs to come first class mail.

You probably know this but make sure you hold the pressure vessel so the outlet holes are up and tap it real good while running it to get all the air out of it. If this is not done almost half of the pressure vessel can be filled with air which cuts done on product.

I have an extra 75gpd flow restrictor you can have.

" make sure you hold the pressure vessel so the outlet holes are up".

I have no idea what that means. My restrictor is part of a 45 degree quick connect elbow.

After doing any work on the RO system you need to bleed out the air. I unsnap the RO pressure vessel from the rig and I hold it so the end that the brine and product lines are coming out of it are pointing upwards. With the unit turned on, I tap it onto my basement wall to get all the air bubbles out. It will be obvious as the air shots out of the brine lines if there is indeed air in the unit.

I did get some air out. But I still am not getting the kind of flow I should be getting. I am going to see if anyone close has one before taking you up on your kind offer.

I blew in the restrictor, and it did not seem restricting. I am 99% sure that is what the problem is. I ordered a new restrictor from BRS. Hopefully it will be here by Wednesday. I will try TMS when they open tomorrow. I will try BRK if TMS does not have one.

I finally got my restrictor, and now the RO/DI works just like it should. I guess my RO filter is 10 years old, so I think every 5 years or so, it is worth investing in a restrictor. Cheap insurance.

Incidentally, I believe my very high water bill last quarter was due to this RO filter being so inefficient.