Davy Jones' Skimmate Locker: new skimmer accessory!

ctenophore

Now that the Swabbie has increased skimmate production while also reducing the frequency of skimmer cleaning, many of you have mentioned that it would be nice not to have to empty your smelly collection cups as often, or even better, worry about messy skimmate overflows.

So to that end, we developed a device that sinks two boats with one cannonball: isolate skimmate while purifying stinky exhaust air, as well as provide a failsafe mechanism to shut off over-eager skimmers.

Our new skimmate collector and shutoff system, Davy Jones' Skimmate Locker, comes in three sizes to most efficiently fit next to your sump, where space is always premium. Rather than a traditional ping-pong ball (which only works with downdraft skimmers) or a magnetic float switch that travels on a central rod and is prone to sticking (especially in a vat full of sticky fish poo), we opted to use a pressure-sensitive switch triggered by rising fluid level. As the fluid level reaches the sensor tube, air is trapped and pressurized, causing the switch to open and cutting power to the skimmer pump(s). While the skimmate level rises, stinky air is forced out the top of the Locker, through a carbon filter that scrubs the foulness from the air before it harms your senses.

Now, rather than reaching to pull off a skimmer cup that may only have centimeters of clearance, or dealing with a hose in a flimsy milk jug, simply disconnect the two pieces of tubing and dump. Combined with a Swabbie, and depending on your skimmer's production volume, you could safely go weeks or even months without touching the skimmer and know that it is running at peak efficiency, with the peace of mind that it will shut off when full. A pretty green LED light indicates a working outlet; i.e., when the switch is not activated.

Installation is very straightforward. Simply fill the Locker's cap with carbon, connect a tube from your skimmer cup drain to the Locker, and plug in the relay box between your skimmer pump and its outlet. Done.

Prices start at $119.99 for the complete system, and preorders will start soon.

locker_3sizes.jpg

locker_top.jpg

What are the dimensions on those? By the way, my new Avast CS1 w/ swabbie is now broken in & I LOVE IT!!! If any of you are still on the fence, go ahead and pull the trigger! Great performance AND great customer service. What more could you ask for?!

Thanks again,

Russ

What are the dimensions on those? By the way, my new Avast CS1 w/ swabbie is now broken in & I LOVE IT!!! If any of you are still on the fence, go ahead and pull the trigger! Great performance AND great customer service. What more could you ask for?!

Thanks again,

Russ

Details, details :)

Specs		        Small	      Medium	    Large

chamber                 3.75"         4.5"          6"
footprint		4.75x4.75     5.5x5.5	    7x7
total height		18"	      18"	    18"
capacity		2200ml	      3200ml	    5900ml 
power input		110v	      110v	    110v
for pumps up to		3A	      3A	    3A
switch rating		10+ M cycles  10+ M cycles  10+ M cycles

Glad the skimmer is doing well for you Russ. Thanks for the feedback and kind words!

^is that a pressure switch?

Cool use of one!!

Sorry to go off topic (redirect me if you want), but seeing the pressure switch used in that application has my head spinning off in other directions and applications where it could be used... What do you think of using a pressure switch in a higher duty application like ATO? What sort of pressure do you develop in the little sealed tube? Think I could buy just the pressure switch, tube, and switchable outlet since I dont usually use a protein skimmer?

Really cool, by the way.

Edited by Chad

We've already anticipated that use and a few more besides :)

We'll start selling the pressure switch & relay box as an ATO kit very shortly, which will include a heavy duty magnet mounting bracket that will hold tight on at least 1/2" glass. We can use the magnet bracket since the switch isn't magnetic. That's why you almost never see a standard magnetic float switch with a good strong magnet mount- it messes up the signal.

Rock on, count me in. Can I sign up for a pre-order?