Refurbishing a 135g

Integral9

I bought a tank and stand a while back that needs some TLC. The tank still holds water, but the caulking could use some refreshment as it looks quite old. Does anyone know how to do this? It's a 135g AGA tank.

My extremely limited understanding (so I'm basically clueless) is when tanks are put together, first they are sealed and then caulked so there are two beads... If that is correct, I "hope" I can just pull off the existing caulk and put down a new bead.

Can anyone help? Has anyone done this or know someone who does?

It's not caulk, it's silicone. and it's different silicone than most of what you get from home depot. You need a slower drying silicone which promotes a stronger bond. Also, new silicone won't stick to old silicone. So it can be done, you just need to watch what you're doing.

I recommend you go to a local fish store (BRK). Just scrape the old stuff out with a razor, leave the frame on the tank and make sure the tank is on a level surface. Apply a small bead in the gaps of the cleaned glass, then with a tongue depressor or you finger smooth out the bead. Smoothing out the bead will force the silicone in to the gaps, and please allow the silicone about 3days to dry. Fill the tank with water and make sure you have no leaks. It is a fairly easy job to do from start to finish.

Extra tips- make sure you get 100% silicone- the kind that DOES NOT have a mold inhibitor in it. We found that rubbing alcohol on your finger when smoothing the bead helps the silicone not stick to your hand as much. Make sure you leak test it outside or somewhere where if it does leak it won't flood your house.

Moving the tank is difficult. My wife won't help (too heavy) and I don't have a vehicle that it will fit into. But I can get a friend to help me carry it out back and set it on some 2x4s for stability. My patio isn't extremely level, but it can be close. Does it have to be perfectly level?

I have done some reading about this and I did know to use 100% silicone w/out the mold inhibiders. But where you buy that or what brand / make to look for, I don't know. I'd like to get the black silicone if possible.

Why do you leave the frame on? I would think it would be much easier to clean and put the beads on w/out the frames in place. I have cabinet clamps to use to hold the glass in place

I'm very nervous about attempting this by myself with zero experience and not even an internet video to go by. I have caulked windows and doors before, so I have some experience with the finishing side. It's the demolition and preparation parts of this project that are freaking me out.