rock work support structure

Lee Stearns

I am searching for info on how folks support their rockwork- What structure materials they use to keep it together and in place.

I want some flexibility to be able to get at 4 maxijets in the back of the tank pretty much behind the sturcture. So I have never dilled holes, put in plastic tie ties, glued, or done anything that would be considered permanent in my rockwork stacking- of course those were the days of "I want a soft coral only tank and do not want to get bitten by the SPS bug...."

Ok I now have a few SPS and LPS-- They are moved occasionally by a mythrix crab down onto a torch coral of elsewhere and get stung almost wiping out the colony. I know about plumbers putty and have used it a bit more to secure some colonies- But as they grow I want flexibility to give them space, besides many of them encrust in time and that is where they are going to stay.

Last week I knocked over my large arch rock that had much of my digitatas colonies that were several inches in height and starting to establish themselves firmly encrusted. Of couse they fragged themselves into many many peices. I have glued some back into place and am now willing to give up a bit of my flexibility(and some digi frags away) for setting up a more stable framework of some type to set rocks upon.

Question: (you knew there was one in there some where, like the boy looking for the pony in the room full of horse manure) What type of structural support are folks using in setting up and stabilizing their rockwork?

Oooo, I'll bring over a dust pan to help :P

Lee, Mostly from what I have seen you have covered. Superglue the corals to a rock and either glue it, stack it or putty it. I've seen nothing else myself?

Howard

Oooo, I'll bring over a dust pan to help  :P

Lee, Mostly from what I have seen you have covered. Superglue the corals to a rock and either glue it, stack it or putty it. I've seen nothing else myself?

Howard

27392[/snapback]

I just checked out Ajaf from RC's reefrack in person. It looks great and it is pretty invisible. I'm gonna make one of these for myself - I wouldn't mind trying to make two of them. I would guess they cost around $30 in materials and he said I can probably do it inside an hour. The structure allows you to have less rockwork and still get a nice vertical design. In addition none of the dead water/dead space from PVC racks.

I will look for the link after I get back from my presentation tonight.

Steve

steve,

Thanks! That was what I was looking for- I had seen a couple of things on RC but when I went to do some research I couldn't find them. Some type of rack that holds up the reef rocks and yet is invisible. What materials were they using? If you get the link it would be much appreciated-

Anyone else use some form of rack to stack rocks?

I guess after a bit more seaching on RC that most folks are just using some form of PVC structural support- I had thought to make some kind of shelving support for large LR pieces- more opening, more stable, and a bit more thought to my aquascape--- But mainly stable to keep SPS from my ham fisted attmepts at getting at things--- I can live with the fast growing digitatas geting broken up as a learning curve lesson, but I have some nice acros now that I do not want to see broken up in the future.- They grow pretty slowly...

I guess after a bit more seaching on RC that most folks are just using some form of PVC structural support-  I had thought to make some kind of shelving support for large LR pieces- more opening, more stable, and a bit more thought to my aquascape--- But mainly stable to keep SPS from my ham fisted attmepts at getting at things--- I can live with the fast growing digitatas geting broken up as a learning curve lesson, but I have some nice acros now that I do not want to see broken up in the future.- They grow pretty slowly...

27503[/snapback]

Here is what I believe is hands down the coolest reef support structure. I saw the tank in person it is great because it doesn't create dead water and it is nearly invisible and definitely will be more so that PVC structures.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=473006

I was thinking of having some people over during the NCAAs - maybe if some one knows where to get the supplies, we can grab some hair dryers and make a few while watching hoops. Anyone up for this? Maybe next Thursday(17th) night?

Steve

Guest clownfish4

That is very cool although we would have to put a lot more into it for our big tanks. Lee has a 150 high I believe and it would require some extensive work to use that method. Personally I think the easiest way is to stack the rock stabily, big flat stuff on the bottom and small odd shaped pieces on the top. Then if need be just epoxy some rocks together. The nice thing about using supports is you don't need as much rock to achieve a beautiful aquascape.

That is very cool although we would have to put a lot more into it for our big tanks.  Lee has a 150 high I believe and it would require some extensive work to use that method.  Personally I think the easiest way is to stack the rock stabily, big flat stuff on the bottom and small odd shaped pieces on the top.  Then if need be just epoxy some rocks together.  The nice thing about using supports is you don't need as much rock to achieve a beautiful aquascape.

27570[/snapback]

Reason I prefer something to lift the rock rather than piling it up:

1) Better flow - keeps waste from getting trapped in the rocks

2) More swimming/hiding space for fish

3) Less rock needed obviously

4) Cavern for less light intensive corals

BTW - this structure is in a 4x2x2 120 tank so I think it could work in a 150, it just depends how much rock you want to have. Personally I think a lot of tanks are overstocked with rocks. The amount most people put in their tank easily exceeds the necessary amount for bio filtration.

Acrylic is stronger than most people realize - I suppose it would be beneficial for a really large tank to use a structure with more bracing but I pressed on one of these dry and I really think it could hold 200+ lbs of rock. I found his structure to be a little narrower than I would prefer but depending on overflow orientation I would consider making a 12in wide reef rack for a 24in tank

I suppose it really it is a personal preference - I like cave effect of this structure more than any other factor but that may a result my preferences in fish selection.

Just tossing an idea out there but I wouldn't discount it for strength or large tank applications.

Guest clownfish4

"BTW - this structure is in a 4x2x2 120 tank"

Are you sure that isn't his 30g tank? Either way I think it is a very cool idea, I am just a little pestimistic on the idea. I would love to try it in a smaller tank to see how it works, then maybe do it in my 125 if it works out well. I am not bashing your idea at all, I just have a few concerns.

"BTW - this structure is in a 4x2x2 120 tank"

Are you sure that isn't his 30g tank?  Either way I think it is a very cool idea, I am just a little pestimistic on the idea.  I would love to try it in a smaller tank to see how it works, then maybe do it in my 125 if it works out well.  I am not bashing your idea at all, I just have a few concerns.

27573[/snapback]

Concerns are totally valid. I was skeptical at first. When visiting my girlfriend this past week, I swung by his place in Queens - the reef rack is in the 120. I think the rack spans 36"-40" and rises about 18" at it's highest. Anthony actually has the most compact, stocked fish room I've ever seen - probably a 6x8 footprint for the room including the walls that his tanks are. I think 6 tanks/fuges in the room totalling around 400g. Oh, to have a house and not an apartment.

Just out of interest what concerns do you have besides strength and stability? I just wondered because I'm planning using one.

oh yeah, what are you doing up this late? I mean I'm an irresponsible grad student - what's your excuse :P

Guest clownfish4

Strength and stability were my main concerns. Another issue is that it would have to be put on the bottom of the tank and that is very hard to do in an established 125 with a 3" sand bed. Another concern would be the rocks tumbling off of the structure.

Strength and stability were my main concerns.  Another issue is that it would have to be put on the bottom of the tank and that is very hard to do in an established 125 with a 3" sand bed.  Another concern would be the rocks tumbling off of the structure.

27576[/snapback]

Yeah I definitely wouldn't try to add it to a established reef tank with a sand bed. Too much hassle for the benefit. The rack had a solid sheet of acrylic across the bottom to keep the ends together and the weight of sand on that keeps it vertical.

I think he zip tied and epoxied rocks into place but his was narrower so this was somewhat necessary. I think I would try to glue sand to the structure like some people to do starboard bottoms they place in a tank. Of course I'm starting in an empty tank with this project so I guess that makes it easier.

I suppose this installation difficulty presents a problem for Lee but planning from the beginning and using appropriately thick acrylic, it would be fun to design one of these with some powerhead mounts built in.

Guest Rivah Rat

I'm trying to use acrylic rods to connect the rocks, actually they are mini blind rods for opening and closing the blinds. I have heard of people using other things like broken arrows or even the thick plastic clothes hangers. I stack the rock how I like it (outside of the tank), drill through the rocks with a masonry bit and slide the rod through the holes and stack them up. Pick up the whole structure and place it in the tank. I need to take some pictures while I'm doing it. hs been working so far and no rockslides.

Great ideas guys- I kind of lean towrd the acrylic rack- has some limitations for a higher build- but would allow for a rather quick transition using live rock that already has some coral on it. Ajaf's thread was pretty good-and looks pretty easy