Information on Calcium Reactors

JpNuss

I am starting to do some serious research for a calcium reactor. I found Jan's post from a while back with this link, http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm, and have decided that a calcium reactor is the way to go for me. A few things hinder this motion though. #1: I don't know the first thing about setting one up. Sure, I read all about it but have never done it by myself, nor do I have any previous experience with one. #2: Cost. I am finding certain items from $300.00 to $1,500 and am a little confused as to the price/quality ratio. Finally, #3: I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have an old one lying around that I can rent/borrow/experiment/practice with before I purchase my own?

In other words, I would greatly appreciate experienced advice and help. Physical or textual :) Anything anyone can do to help me figure this out.

I have added items to my setup before, strictly on LFS recommendation and will NEVER do it again. Fortunately, I was shown this wonderful forum by scott711, and now trust the information I find from you lovely people, much more than someone who is trying to make a sale.

Thank you all in advance,

Jonathan