Cutting overflow teeth in acrylic

steveoutlaw

I currently have a NAGA custom sump on the back of my 60g cube. I'm changing to a rimless and am planning on putting the sump inside the tank and was going to cut some teeth in one end to act as an overflow. I have a couple of questions:

1. The new cube is going to be a 3'x3' which will give me 6" on each side of the sump. Should I cut the teeth in the end of the sump facing the side of the tank or the front of the sump facing the front of the tank? Also, what should I use to cut them (I'll need help if this is the way I decide to go).

2. Should I bag that idea and just cut a square in the sump and glue the glassholes.com overflow into place? It's a 300gph overflow and has been doing great on the 60g cube.

3. Do I need to upgrade to a 700gph overflow?

Thanks,

Steve

If you need teeth cut, you can do that with a simple jig and a router with a straight bit. I've done it a couple of times on my router table and it goes pretty easy.

I have used a table saw with a carbide blade to cut overflow teeth and also the jig and router method. If you don't have the tools or value your fingures an easier route would be to have Avast Marine cut it out for you.