Regen RO/DI Water Filter

lmeyer

Hello all!

When I set up my system, the LFS recommended (and I bought) the Maxxima-R 24GPD. His logic was that the anion tends to be used up much more quickly than the cation. He felt that even if I just bought new media each time, it would be cheaper than using the mixed media, because I would be swapping out the cation significantly less often. I use the filter for both top off and water changes on my 400 gallon system.

The LFS owner also told me that he had a friend who collected used up cation and anion resins and did the regen for a bunch of people at one time. The plan was that I would be part of the group getting my regen done in a bulk session. Unfortunately, the LFS was sold, the prior owner is now mostly out of the hobby, the store has closed, and the relationship never materialized.

I would like to do the regen, but a) don't know how, and B) don't really want the caustic chemicals around the house with my small children.

I see four options:

1) Switch to a mixed resin system and stop messing with the regen. Anybody have any thoughts on the different amount of times to use up the resins?

2) Continue buying new resin as needed and not doing the regen.

3) Learn how to do the regen. Anybody got instructions for this?

4) Find someone who is already doing the regen and offer something in trade for adding mine to their mix. If you are interested, but don't have enough used up resin to start, don't worry, I've got plenty. Anyone interested? BTW, I'm in Kensington if you are interested.

Edited by lmeyer

I am probably one of the few folks here who has ever bothered re-generating the resins.

I do not bother doing it anymore. The $ saved just isn't worth the trouble. Even having lab facilities to do it in, I found it to be way way way to much of a pain- topped on the smell and nasty chemicals, I really do not think it is worth it. I had to seperate the ani from the cati though as it came from a mixed bed, which adds to the inconvience factor.

I now just buy the media and refill the di portion of my filter. I have been using buckeye supply for the resin.

I can probably find the instructions somewhere if your heart is set on regenerating them.

fwiw,

Michael

Thanks, thats about what I figured. I will probably keep on doing the system the way I have been, I took another look at the cost and buying the regenerable resins does seem like it should save money.

I'm not familiar with buckeye supply. Are they a good source? I buy mine from champion lighting.

What do you do with your used resin? I have a fair amount of it stored up and would like to do the environmentally sound thing with it if I am not going to regen it.