Clownfish question

dmward99

Is it possible to keep percs. and ocell.clowns together or maybe percs and clarks? I have a total water volume of 30 gallons have a perc clown ,don't want to get rid of but want to add another clown.Don't want to add the same.The new fish would be smaller.I had another clown that disappeared it was a Petco picasso? :unsure:

Edited by dmward99

30 gallons is a small tank tank and I think there may be some fighting between a clarkii and a percula. Mixing clowns is hit and miss and you will get differing opinions and success stories. Percula and ocellaris clowns are among the most tolerant of all clowns. You need to get a percula or ocellaris clown that is small, no bigger then an inch as your chances of a juvenile being accepted are much better. If you want something different try a different color of the same find such as a B/W, no bar, or a snow.

(edited)

Thanks for the reply Coral Hind.Do you think I can reduce aggression if I rearrange the rockwork when introducing the clowns(Like introducing tangs) Or does it really not matter?

Edited by dmward99

It really doesn't matter as they will seek each other out in a tank that small.

Hanging a specimen container inside the tank with the new smaller clownfish in it for a week or so will help them to establish the hierarchy before it is released. Once released the smaller one should concede faster which would reduce fighting. That step is very important when dealing with aggressive clowns like maroons.