Visiting SCMAS Member

Guest sharkdude

Guest sharkdude

Hey there WAMAS!

I recently arrived in Silver Spring, MD for a temporary 2 month assignment through November 12th.

I figured while I'm here I should try and check out some reef systems to see if your right coasters do anything different, better, or unique than us left coasters!

I checked your website and see that you have a meeting scheduled for Oct 16 and depending on where its at, I'll try to attend if I'm welcome (I am limited to public transportation ie metro). I'm right next to the silver spring redline stop.

If you are in the area and would enjoy showing off your system and talking tank, drop me a line at sharkdude1@yahoo.com

I have a few SCMAS (www.scmas.org) taking care of my system in my absence.

Various pics at

http://www.oc-creative.com/reef/sharkdude.asp

http://community.webshots.com/user/reefdude1

http://community.webshots.com/user/sharkdude_1

Chris

sharkdude1@yahoo.com

Hobby Experience: 5 yrs reef, 15 yrs marine fish

Current Tanks: 120 display, 35 gal cube zoanthid display, 30 gal refugium, 30 gal sump

Interests: Sci Fi, Freedive spearfishing

Welcome to the area and I hope you enjoy the stay.  While there isn't an easy metro/bus over to the school (pretty close though to tell you the truth), there are some members right over in that direction or if they aren't coming, then we always make a run to the metro to run a shuttle for all the DC folks without cars.  You are definately welcome to attend the meeting.  Should be quite informative and fun- plus we have an awesome raffle (while I don't know what's going to be in it yet- we always stock it up good).  Dr. Mac might be coming as well- will know after he returns from MACNA.

Guest sharkdude

Thanks Michael.

you hold your meetings at a school?

well. I'm sure I'll figure something out.

any good stores in silver spring or immediate area? I'd be curious how prices compare as we are pretty spoiled on the west coast being the main port of entry for corals and fish.

Guest tgallo
whats up chris, im only a couple of miles down the road from you, i will be more than happy to pick you up for the meeting, send me a pm and we can figure out the details and were you are staying, talk to you soon, tony.

Chris,

Given where you are coming from, the ONLY reason you would want to see stores around here is to know how lucky you are!  There is one store real close to you on Georgia, just before the beltway.  Else for corals, it's a drive.  

Maybe tony will swing you by his place on the way to the meeting so you can see his monster tank.

Yeah- finding places for meetings is kinda tough around here.  The school is cheap, big, easy to find, and has plenty of parking.  Given we frequently have near 100 people at the meetings typically, we find this a necessity.  If we didn't do fundraising activities, it would be essentially free.  Even with the extra charge, it's very affordable.

Michael