New Nano

Aquariareview

This is the new nano cube in my office.

9.7 gal

10lbs of semi cured live rock

1 inch of live sand from my big reef tank

I took out all of the foam and junk in the filter chambers.

I placed one bag each of Chemi-Pure* charcoal resin blend, Sea-Chem Purigen* and 1 sheet of polyfilter in the chamber with the pump.

I plan to do a 2 gal a week water change. but during the break in period I am doing a 5 gal a week change

Watch this post for more pics as it develops

nano.jpg

Day 1

I hung a prizm skimmer on the front glass to help the rock cure a little quicker.

2weeks.jpg

Day 10

I have added:

an unknown red Macroalgae.

1 more inch of live sand

3 red leg hermits

3weeks.jpg

Day 17

Took off the skimmer

I have added:

A Firefish

2 Shaving Brush Plants (Penicillus sp.)

I took a couple of small pieces of rock to put in my reef and get some Zoos moved onto.

skimmermod.jpg

I have made a 8 inch wide cut in the back of the hood so I could hang a sea clear 100 skimmer.

5weeks.jpg

5 Weeks

8weeks.jpg

8 Weeks

I have added some Zoos, Star Polyps, pulsing Xenia, Feather Duster And a Hairy Mushroom. I removed the firefish and put in a watchman and a pistol shrimp.

4months.jpg

4 Months

6 month.jpg

6 Months

I have added a blastamosa, a few mushrooms and a small monti frag (a test). also added a algea blenny that keeps the rock very clean.

All Is well. this has turned out to be a showy little tank.

My kudos to JBJ for making this little tank available.

*Chemi-Pure, A Carbon- Resin blend. The resin produces negatively charged ions, while removing excess acids and ammonia. The carbon is designed to absorb contaminants up to 50% of its total weight. In a tank this small it will remain active for 4-6 months. about $6 LFS.

Poly-Filter is a chem filter pad that does a pretty good job at phosphate and heavy metals removal.

Sea-Chem Purigen is a macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes proteins, nitrite and nitrate, ammonia and a broad spectrum of organics at a rate and capacity that exceeds all others by over 500%. It significantly raises redox and polishes water clarity. About $6

Purigen can be regenerated by soaking in a bleach overnight.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest DANMOQUIN
Very nice man. Very informative too, especially for those just starting the hobby. Good job and great advice

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This is the end of posting new pictures for this project. (see first post).

I had someone ask me for cost on a project like this.

$129.00 JBJ NANO Tank (Wallys Aquarium, Annandale VA)

$ 72.00 12 lbs live rock (Wallys Aquarium, )

$ 26.00  Replacment Smart Lite (Roozens)

$ 17.00  Replacment Powerhead.

Most of the livestock came from my other system

This is the most fun for the buck i have had in this hobby.

• 5 months later...
Guest dmartin72

What were the mods you did to the lighting. I'm getting two of the new 12 gallon deluxe nano cubes and was thinking about supplementing the 48 watts of CF with a metal halide.

David in G-burg

• 1 month later...
I am in the process of switching to a all LED system. It has the par and point source effect of 100-150 MH and a very solid moonlight built in. Using a new super high output led the designer of this system has achieved a SPS usable system for about $200. I will post pictures as soon as I am up.