Nano Cube

Guest clownfish4

Guest clownfish4
Well, I just bought my nanocube.  I plan on putting water straight from my tank so it will be ready immediately!!!  I always knew cycling was a waste of time! :p   Anyways, I thought I would ask you guys about my stocking options.  After reading a lot over at nanoreef.com, I have come up with this.  I am going to throw about 10 lbs of live rock in there and some frags of xenias and shrooms I have.  Then, a skunk cleaner shrimp and a peppermint shrimp.  A few snails and crabs.  Then, I was thinking about either getting a damsel or a blenny of some type.  Most likely I will be getting a blue velvet damsel, but I just want to look through all of my options.  So what blennies are good for small tanks?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest drgnchk
scooter blennys, or sand sifter gobies are prefect for a nono, reef safe and very hardy.

Guest cjm033

id go negitive with the scooter since their main diet is pods and they are really dragonettes (like mandarins). id go with a small barnicle blenny,maby a small bicolor, or algae blenny.

-Chris

Guest bill33

what are you talking about cjm033, he can put a tang in there if he wants:p

ya a bicolor blenny would be perfect, or a gramma

Guest bill33
ya a bicolor blenny would be perfect, or a gramma, six line wrasses are cool

Another option is to go with a shrimp gobie and pistol shrimp. I have them in a nano cube and they are a lot of fun to watch

Guest clownfish4
Another option is to go with a shrimp gobie and pistol shrimp. I have them in a nano cube and they are a lot of fun to watch

Hmm....I saw Lee's nano cube and he had a yellow watchman goby and a pistol shrimp.  They burrowed under his rock with lots of tunnels and I never saw the little guys.

• 2 weeks later...
clownfish4- I enjoy my  watchman shrimp combo- Thay are skittish I will have to send you a picture. They come out with who they are used to seeing- The pistol is blind- so he is lead out by the Watchman goby

Guest clownfish4
Ok, thanks Lee.  What about a watchman shrimp combo and a damsel?  The Live Aquaria comaptibilty chart says they are compatible, but will the damsel cause them to hide more?

depend on what you call a nano- 13g I wouldn't add a blue damsel to that combo- but if you are talking about your 29 as a nano I would think it would work- I just wouldn't go out of my way to get a damsel when there are so many other bright and peaceful fish out there (sixline being one of my favorite). That being said- in a fish only tank, and damsels being indestructable and I hadn't much time to monitor the tank then Damsels fit some nitches.

Guest clownfish4
I'm talking about the 13g JBJ Nano Cube.  I got the JBJ for my brother as a present and the blue velvet damsel is his favorite fish.  If I end up putting the damsel in it for him, I may get the goby pistol shrimp pair for my 29 with some other fun things.  Thanks for all the help.

• 2 months later...
Guest dmartin72

Has anyone gotten the new 12 Gallon Nano Cube DELUXE (ie 48 watts of light, two fans etc)? What kind of mods are people doing to their nano cubes and why? More light? I ordered two that should be here tomorrow. One will be a freshwater planted tanked and the other a nano reef.

David

I have a 96 watt power quad in mine and it looks great I am getting all kind of great growth in my tank.  I am very happy with my light!  I also gutted out the filter section and put 2 rio 600 and took the factory pump out. One rio 600 circulates the water in the back section where I have about 10 of live rock rubble. The other pump I drilled out the *** where the factory pump was and stuck the other pump through the hole.  The mods I made run me about $160 but it was worth it. You should check out nano-reef.com it is a great site for info. Hope this helped.

Good luck

Brian

Guest dmartin72

Thanks wirick21. Where did you get the quad 96 and how much did it cost you? Was it pretty easy to switch out the factory installed lighting set-up and add the quad?

David in G-burg

David I got my powerquad from MS and I think I paid $129 for it.  It does not fit perfect in the hood so if that is what you want they make a powerquad that is in a hood all ready it is around about $200 or more MS has that too.

Brian