The Diary of a College Reefer - 34g Solana

spankythepyro

So I wish I had more build pics but I don't :(

I also wish I had a better camera, mine is a 3 yr old Casio with no macro function and like 4mp lol

Setup:

- 34g Solana

- Modern Black Stand (with messed up hinges since all the screw heads snapped off -_-)

- 24" 4 bulb Tek T5HO

- Vortech MP10

- Autotopoff.com ATO

- Stock Skimmer

- Stock Return Pump

- 30lbs of Marco Rock Dry Rock

Dosing:

- BW Microbacter7

- BW Magnesion

- ESV B-Ionic 2 Part

Livestock:

- NO FISH!! SOLD THEM ALL!! I need to sell some frags to buy some :(

Corals:

- Tubb's Birdsnest

- ORA Neon Green Birdsnest

- Tyree Spongebob Favia

- Blueberry Fields Encrusting Monti

- Dendrophyllia

- unID'd Acro's & a Deepwater Acro

- Zoa's (Devil's Armor, Gorilla Nipples, RPE, Eagle Eyes, Baby AOG's, Fire & Ice/Horizons)

looking good Dan, i dig the rock work a lot. thats a pretty cool idea placing those tiles in the bottom, looks better than starboard in my opinion. Also that tubbs looks good up top, should grow great for you.

Renato - Thanks! I love the tiles too... they give me some light reflection but I do still get some detritus trapped in between them. However I have no problems keeping my lvls down I guess its because of MB7 & the skimmer...which is working great now even w/o the mod. I will stop by sometime so you can mod it though :p I'll bring you a frag of the neon green birdsnest as well. the tubbs is also already growing!! the tips are splitting and branching off even more!

Dave - How is he doing? Has the little retard tried playing hide and seek with you yet? He also likes to get your attention by pecking at the glass when you're watching and will eat nori from your hand if you hold it steady.

Update: I got 3 Green Chromis and a Cleaner Shrimp today... the cleaner shrimp is in the back corner :(

I'm still looking for....

1 Lyretail Anthias or Sunburst Anthias

1 McCoskers Flasher Wrasse

1 Tricolor Fairy Wrasse or Solar Fairy Wrasse

1 Midas Blenny

too much??? I plan on adding more rock for hiding places :p I don't want to lose my double arch though :(

Edited by spankythepyro

• 2 weeks later...

Got some new corals, and cut the Birds Nest up into two colonies (wish I didn't now)

I'm going to be taking the tile out I think.... It does reflect light but I'm not sure about the detritus in between them.

New Corals

- ORA Roscoe's Blue

- ORA Borealis

While you are taking the tiles out, take the frag rack along with it. IMO, a tank that small shouldn't have a frag rack inside to detract from an otherwise nicely done structure. The frags will grow just fine mounted to the rock.

Dave - How is he doing? Has the little retard tried playing hide and seek with you yet? He also likes to get your attention by pecking at the glass when you're watching and will eat nori from your hand if you hold it steady.

Hadn't thought of it as hide and seek, but that's what the fish is doing. The tang also can see a camera coming from across the room and dash into the rocks. I haven't tried the nori trick because bunnyhead tries to eat my hand whenever it goes in the tank.

I agree with Rob, the tank would look much sleeker without the rack.

I don't think I;ll be using sand at all, I just see it as a trap for detritus and the like :( - I need to find a way to get light reflecting off the bottom though.

The frag rack on the bottom with the zoas is still in, but the one hanging off the side is out :D - I plan on going home and getting my 2 pieces of shelf rock and putting them in so the zoas can be mounted :)

I want to make an acrylic frag rack as well... that way it is clear and the corals will be floating, not to mention easier to harvest SPS