Asian seafood markets

dshnarw

Some of the abalone were pretty small, maybe 2-2.5" across. Send me a shopping list and next time I have a chance I'll go down there and grab some. I'll toss them into a bucket of water in my workshop and toss a power head in there. That'll keep the temp right around 45-50 degrees.

I'm not sure what kind of octopus it is, but it's a big one that'll probably grow quite large... I sent pictures to Mike Henley for aid in identification, but sounds like the O. vulgaris is what is commonly sold in these stores... I'll have to do some comparison on these guys. If they can tolerate higher temperatures that's good news for me... will make housing it much easier than I was trying to do based on the temp of the abalone tank. Since this is your thread, I'll post pictures on another thread.

Thanks Dave! Great sizes on the abalone (for me at least, not so much for food patrons). I'll talk to Amber and get a list to you.

Good luck with the octo ID - they change textures and colors so much it can be pretty hard from what I've read. Is this the start of a new reefing trend - going to the ethnic markets to find livestock? :laugh:

Thanks Dave! Great sizes on the abalone (for me at least, not so much for food patrons). I'll talk to Amber and get a list to you.

Good luck with the octo ID - they change textures and colors so much it can be pretty hard from what I've read. Is this the start of a new reefing trend - going to the ethnic markets to find livestock? :laugh:

Just an old trick being resurrected! I remember being a little kid and buying blue crabs and trying to keep them in tanks with Morton's salt!

It's hard to find things that will live from there, they are pretty rough with their shipments, but the stone fish and abalone looked pretty good.

The corner of Beauregard and Duke/Little River Turnpike has a Grand Mart.

I saw a bunch of live stuff there this week end. Clams, eels, crabs, lobsters, fish and such. They seemed to have a bunch of live stuff. I didn't look over it too closely. They probably had oysters and mussels. I recall some kids playing with the crabs.

I buy orange sushi roe there. Its my critters favorite food.

You can get part of your cleanup crew there as well, saw some snails a few times I went.

Just an old trick being resurrected! I remember being a little kid and buying blue crabs and trying to keep them in tanks with Morton's salt!

It's hard to find things that will live from there, they are pretty rough with their shipments, but the stone fish and abalone looked pretty good.

i was considering the stonefish if they were smallish, but Diver's Den has gotten regular shipments of some of the temperate fish I want...don't want to risk them being eaten when I get them :)

You can get part of your cleanup crew there as well, saw some snails a few times I went.

thats partially what the abalone are for :) according to wetwebmedia, they're pretty voracious algae munchers, and they'll take nori sheets if they need more food

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...