Vibration from powerhead on the glass -- bad?

rsarvis

Is a lot of vibration on the glass from a powerhead bad?

I had a Koralia 4 die on me, and I had a modded maxijet whose suction cups wouldn't hold, so I glued the modded maxijet directly to the magnet of the Koralia and stuck it on the aquarium wall. It works much better now (in that it doesn't fall down) but I can feel significant vibration when I put my hand to the glass, and there's an audible buzz.

Should I add a piece of rubber or foam or something b/t the magnet and the powerhead to dampen the vibration?

I would imagine that the vibrations would eventually cause some issues with structural integrity, but if it's not really that bad it would take years to do, unless there's already some problems that it could magnify. In other words, I don't think it would cause a problem so much as exacerbate one you didn't know about. This is just a guess, though.

On the other hand, I think it could be very stressful for the fish.

are you always online, dave? lol

A powerhead in my clownfish tank vibrates the glass sometimes when it gets a little out of position - I have never worried about it hurting the tank, but as much as it disturbs me from across the room, I know it must bother the fish.