My LTA looks sad

Grav

This is my 1st one and it is small, about 2 inches across. It was sold to me as an LTA, yet Tentacles don't seem as long as pics I see. I've had it for 2 weeks.  Some times it looks great, other times it seems to swallow itself, right now the mouth is HUGE and the tentacls are tiny!

It's in a 33gal tank (same foot print as a 55, but shorter) and has 130 watts of PC.  I don't think that light is the problem.  Everything I test: PH, ALk, Calcium, temp, iodine, Amonium, Nitrate, Nitrite... all are right on. However, I did learn to add PH up VERY slowly.

I have 2 pepermint shirmp (Lysmata wurdemanni) that have been picking at it... clearly not appreciated. I had assumed that they would get stung sooner or later and learn a lesson, but that seems not to be the case.  Should I get them out?

I've tried feeding it a little, brine and phytoplankton... can't tell if it is really eating anything.  Should I give it something more significant?  Gammarus, Krill, pellets? The pepermints? (kidding)

To round out my frustration the TR A. Ocellaris loved the thing on the 1st day and hasn't been back.

Thanks VERY much for ANY help or suggestions.

Try feeding it something substantial like a chunk of raw fish or a shrimp.  I feed my BTA 2-3 shrimp a week.

I wouldn't worry about the peppermints.  If they get too close and bug it too much, they'll become lunch.

Has it settled down and become attached somewhere?  If not, it may not be healthy and that may be why the shrimp are picking at it.

Where did you get it?

Guest JFish

I agree... Anemone's #1 thing needed in an aquarium is food IMO.  Feed it some raw shrimp, scallops, squid, whatever you can get.  About a cubic centimeter size or so...  If it doesn't it at first wait a half an hour or longer and try again, don't irritate it by forcing food into it, let it grab the food itself.  If you have to make a little screen or something to put around it while it's feeding so the shrimp and fish don't try to steal the food.

Good luck with your anemone,

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't think it has a chance of taking in one of these shrimp, just not big' nuff.  

I have some pre-cooked table shrimp in the house, how is that?  Just shove it in there?

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't think it has a chance of taking in one of these shrimp, just not big' nuff.  

I have some pre-cooked table shrimp in the house, how is that?  Just shove it in there?

Okay "place" it on there?

Okay, I have a dead cleaner shrimp in the Freezer (yes raw  ??? ) Died on the way home.

How bout that

Don't use cooked shrimp.  It should be raw.  The frozen cleaner you have may or may not be palatable for it.  You can try it though.  Make sure it's at room or water temperature.  I usually soak the shrimp (or whatever) in tank water and some selcon for 10-15 minutes.  This gets the food at or close to the tank temperature.  I've heard mixed reviews about selcon and anemones, but I figure it doesn't hurt and I pour the soaking water into the tank anyway.

Thanks again for the ideas,but sadly it is no longer an issue.

Tried the cleaner, tried re-hydrated krill... nothing.  Was looking very very bad.  Today got home, tenticals were totally withdrawn and it looked like the guts were about to spill, base looked like it was falling apart.  Not taking any chances I removed him.