Question about Kalkreators

Vader

I've been looking at differant types of kalkreactors and i've seen two differant types, one type uses a stirring rod and the other type uses a small water pump. I'm looking for your opionions from your own experiences, as to which style performs the best, pro/cons of each style.

You forgot one other type.

DIY

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=33735

I have tried both stir rod and pump. I felt the pump put way to much Kalk into the water. I want just saturated kalk and the stir method seems to do that very well.

Bruce

I've been looking at differant types of kalkreactors and i've seen two differant types, one type uses a stirring rod and the other type uses a small water pump. I'm looking for your opionions from your own experiences, as to which style performs the best, pro/cons of each style.

it really depends on the application. A stirrer definately keeps a more constant level of kalk saturation, but you can't use most stirrers in pressurised applications (reactor can take pressure from a pump to send up to a tank). Most stirrers require a setup where the water drains into the sump. Conversly, most of the reactors that use pumps to stir the kalk can be used in a pressurized application as well as draining into the sump. I've used both and really haven't been able to tell the difference in performace parameter wise.

it really depends on the application. A stirrer definately keeps a more constant level of kalk saturation, but you can't use most stirrers in pressurised applications (reactor can take pressure from a pump to send up to a tank). Most stirrers require a setup where the water drains into the sump. Conversly, most of the reactors that use pumps to stir the kalk can be used in a pressurized application as well as draining into the sump. I've used both and really haven't been able to tell the difference in performace parameter wise.

Thanks Steve, I haven't given that much thought, but you bring up a good point that I hadn't considered. I'm leaning towards the stirrer type, but will have to give this some thought in regards to how I'm going to set this up. Thanks for the tip.

I'm using the Aquamedic Kalkwasser Stirrer. it is working well. It has a drain like Steve described, but it is being pumped in to my sump...not just draining. I have a small pump that pumps RO water and bottom feeds the stirrer. Then it overflows/pumps in to the sump. It keeps the levels high. I have hooked up to my float switches for auto-top off. This is my first one and I've been pretty happy with it. I like the setup because I have a bit more control over exactly what is going in to the tank.