Multiple types of Starfish ok?

Guest Chris_X

Guest Chris_X

I have a sand star, I guess u call them. Stays on or under the sand. But before I got the sand star I told the guy at the LFS I wanted to get a brittle star. He got it in so I went and picked it up but he wasnt around to ask if they would be ok together.

Anyone know if they will be ok living in the same tank?

Thnx!

fsh2]]   fsh1]]

Should be fine - as long as you didn't get a green brittle star - they eat fish and other things (Stand on legs and make trap in rock then pounce on fish when it swims under them.  In the past, I mixed sand sifting star and brittles (not green with no problem)

Guest Chris_X

Thnx and no it's your standard black brittle star.

Nice to know though about the green. Wow!

Thnx Craig

White sand stars are notorious for decimating sand beds.  If you're running a live sand bed you may want to reconsider.  Brittle Stars are way cool, as Craig mentioned, just avoid the green's.

Are the striped serpent stars okay...?  How about the reds...?

Yes- they are fine.  In all honesty, the only problematic ones are the green and yellow bristle, brittle stars.  I don't think any of the serpents are a problem, including the green ones.

I had the sand star as seen in Glen's link.  did fine for 18 months, then I tried a yellow head sleeper goby who also fed on pods in sand.  After that, the star died, then the goby jumpd ship.  If you have a big system, I think they are ok.

Guest Chris_X

Well I do have the one in the link =\ The guy at Roozen's said he would be good for the sand.

So should I remove him?

fsh1]]

Do not want to start this but it need to be said often-

1st rule of Marine aquariums-- do not buy and place in your tank an animal that you haven't researched, and know its requirements/compatability- and for this area you really need to be an informed aquriast to shop at Rootzens- I'll leave it at that.

Guest Chris_X

Well like I said before, I think, I had put a brittle star on kind of a lay-away. Then bought the sand star not remembering I had asked a guy to hold the brittle.

Also, I couldnt find any info on mixing a sand star and a brittle star.