Algae problem on my sand bed

Guest JFish

Guest JFish

Here are some pics I just took, there's algae on the glass and particles in the water because I just tried to clean the glass with a magnet...anyways,

Here are some pretty good shots of the algae,  I haven't had any luck getting rid of it, I have two fighting conch's which are supposed to clean a sand bed pretty well, 5 months later and its still getting this algae on it.  I also have other various snails, oh and nassarious snails too, about 20 of them in there.  Would a cucumber work? what kind? or what else would you recommend to help get rid of this...it makes my tank look so dark because there is no light bouncing off my white sandbed anymore.

Thanks for anything you throw out there :)

Here are the pics:

algae1.JPG

algae2.JPG

algae3.JPG

you can also see my newest fish, the black-cap basslet and the 3 cardinals...im hoping to atleast double the school of them when I get a job again :)

First place to start would be water source.  Test your top-off water to see what the phosphate level is vs. amount in your system.  There are a few members with TDS meters.  Maybe you can get one to bring their meter to the meeting and test your water.  

Also test, if possible all additives you add for their levels of phos.  I also have heard from a member who was using pickling lime instead of ESV kalk powder; he was getting a high phosphate increase from the Mrs. pickle powder.  Are you dripping this as a source of kalk?

Water flow increase can help rid some types of algae.  

Might also want to try a new type of food and see if that changes things.  

Cucumber - check out reeftopia Webster.  They have the good kind, as does Dr. Mac.  Reeftopia also has some ivory cerith snails that stay mainly on the sand.

Are you running refuge only or do you also have a skimmer in use?

Final one, try turkey baster to create storm once a week to stir up top layer of sand.

Guest JFish

I have a euro-reef cs6-2 plus a 10 gallon refugium.  i have stirred up the sand bed before but it is weird how this stuff stays in the sand.

I haven't changed my R/O filters and DI resin yet, If I had money I would...Im guessing the TDS is a little high.  Also, I use a calcium reactor, so no limewater going into the tank...I have plenty of flow in the tank with around 800 gph return and a genx mak4 running a SCWD through 3/4" pvc to both ends of the tank pointing at a 45 degree angle to the sand.

I guess it is probably my water source, though I regret that I wont be able to do anything about that for atleast a month.  Thanks for the response, got me thinking a little harder :)

I was using R/O D/I water and water was good. A bulb went bad and next thing I know a I had a shair algae problem.   20 snails and 20 hermit crabs wouldn't take care of.  I picked up one Sally Lightfoot and one Emerald crab and they cut through it like a weed wacker.

Just one idea.

Guest JFish

I haven't seen any emerald crabs around...I have a bunch of bubble algae that I was hoping they'd eat, although it isn't unsightly to the point that I need to get rid of it...are they also refered to as regular mithrax crabs?  Will one of you bring a TDS meter to the next meeting?  Or...I might be going to the ZOO next weekend, if anyone could bring one with them there I might be going to that...

...That'll let me know how badly I need to change the ro stuff.

Thanks for the replies...I will see what I can do about getting a powerhead down near the sand as well.

Hi John,

What herbivores do you have in the system? Tangs? Although blue-legged hermits can be a pain sometimes, a few won't hurt, just keep an eye on them. Although phosphates (free phosphorous) can aid in various un-desirable algae growths (derbesia, cladaphora, bryopsis, etc.) they are not always the direct (or only) cause. RO/DIs can limit most free PO4, NO3, and Si, in your makeup water, but are not always needed (depending on the municipal water supply you are on). I think you know of someone in the Baltimore area, who for years has never used RO/DI and has maintained/replicated several sps systems, and for the past 5 years a retail outlet (all on Baltimore County water). I have a TDS meter if you are close to Columbia, or would like to take a water sample to either of the two Baltimore stores (not sure where you live) and I can pick it up possibly same day.One thing I wanted to ask, the algae that you are having issues with... is it only on the sand bed (aragonite?) or does it also appear on the rock? Slimy or rough texture? Branchlike or clumping? (Hard for me to tell on pic). The recommendation for the Sally Lightfoot is a great one, and they usually take care of most undesirables along with keeping a higher alkalinity, limiting nutrient import (all purpose additives), etc. Feel free to email me if you have any other things you can add or want to get me a sample of the water (tap, and tank). Rich

p.s. What is the store link on your website? Are you looking at e-commerce, or are you a service provider? :O)

Guest JFish

The link was going to just be various plant clippings from my freshwater tank up for sale...I have gotten some pretty decent money selling huge clumps of java fern etc on the net...I haven't developed that part of the site because I have really gotten out of shipping plants, it's too bothersome to deal with especially since I'm only 18 and I have tons of other things I like doing better than packaging up plants all the time.

The algae is slimey, it is mainly on the sandbed but creeps up onto the rocks as well.  A ways back it was all over the tank, on every piece of LR, I got an urchin and I don't know if it was that; or the new refugium, and getting rid of the stinky old refugium that didn't have enough flow through it; that caused the algae to get off the rocks.  I will try to pick up a sally lightfoot whenever I get money again...Im going to try a little more flow pointed directly at the area first...I never got hermit crabs because I had heard that they're snail killers...I do have a few zebra hermits,they're really small and only about 5 in the whole tank...haven't even seen one of those in months.

What store are you by the way?  I'm in Northern VA so I probably wont be up there too frequently but I do like to occasionally visit stores up there to get stuff that I can't find down here.

Thanks for all the help everyone,  (the tank isn't really that bad looking...it's a lot brighter than the pictures show and the algae isn't incredibly bad, I'd just be a lot happier if it wasn't in there :))

John, I had emeralds and they seem to eat everything BUT bubble algae.

Im just chimming in to let you know i have gotten 4 cucs from Dr MAC and they eat everything. Mine come out during the day as well which supposedly is rare. If you can wait until Summer meeting have him bring you some. I have 2 in a 75g and they do fine as far as not starving. But i think he is the cheapest. Only like 8buks or something. As far as kind. Only kind you want arethe dull looking ones, and I think Dr mac carries Tiger Tails which are better than Atlantics. Well, So the saying on RC.  But they really clean my bed, and I dont think they can eat enough since its never really spotless.

just hoped that helped.

Dr mac did tell me that you really need to acclimate these guys as they are super sensitive to ph changes. But i can say, Once in they never seem to be effected by anything drastically changed.

Mike

Hi John,

If the algae is slimy, I am betting you are dealing with derbesia, especially since you mentioned it used to be everywhere. What nutrients are you adding to the system besides calcium and alkalinity buffers (or reactors)? We are not a store, although are in the final stages of re-launching a new website, that will enable e-commerce on higher end products for mainly clients, and others depending on demand. Java Ferns (I used to call them Java weeds:O). Most hermits will find snails a delicacy, but I have used more hermits than snails over the past 10 or so years, due to snails being pickier than most when it comes to undesirable algaes. I do use the queen & fighting conchs however, for it seems they can take on even the most aggressive hermits. I think a sally lightfoot will do well, just keep an eye on it around xenia's and briarum, for I have seen them pick during the twilight hours.

Guest JFish

I am not adding anything to the system...just using a calcium reactor.  I feed all frozen foods, which I've heard are high in phosphates and I feed corals golden pearls.  I will see what I can do about getting the sallylight foot and some hermits in there.

Thanks everyone,

Guest JFish
I have stopped...I may feed it every 2 weeks are so, a tiny pinch but I don't think that is doing much. :)