29 Gallon Invert Tank

Guest owl28

Guest owl28

Is it possible to create a 29 gallon invert tank? I would be planning to use live rock/sand, a protein skimmer. Do I need an external filter(Power/ Canister)? I am only plannning to keep sea stars/urchins, some small crabs, maybe a nudibranch or shrimp. I am starting to think about this.

Aaron

Sure- all you really need is rock, sand, some powerheads, a heater and some lights.  A skimmer such as a CPR backpack or Remora will work fine and give a little extra water movement.  A power filter can also add to water movement and a place to throw carbon.  I'd leave out the sponge and bio- filter of it though (just get a "media" bag for the carbon.  Don't get a nudibrach- many (especially the pretty ones) are coralivores and will starve.  All the other stuff should be fine, but look into them before purchasing any.  I would let the tank establish for 4-6 months before adding any animals other than snails IMO.

I ran a 29 with Sea horses and inverts a few years back- It was fairly easy- Need lots of pods though. Some of the easier lower light soft corals would look nice in the setup as well.

Guest sprtplyr99
I used to have a 20 gallon freshwater tank running now and it is just sitting in my basement...would it be possible to make that into invert tank or grow some corals?

Sure- people have gone much smaller than that... Same principles apply for the most part that are used for larger systems.  Large % water changes are easier though :)  and recommended.  The potential problem with smaller tanks is the water chemistry is less forgiving- thus evaporation make up water should be added daily.

Might try looking at www.nanoreef.com