How to Net/Catch Fish in Tank

Guest hk132

Guest hk132

I've got a 30 gallon marine setup that's currently got four fish, the most recent addition being three weeks ago.

Unfortunately, this most recent fish is far more aggressive then the others already in the tank and has been terrorizing them.  I'd like to remove this aggressive fish from the tank to prevent the death of the other fish.

During the past week I've made several attempts to catch this fish but have thus far been unsuccessful.  The tank is fairly deep so I cannot maneuver the net very well in the deepest several inches.  In addition, The fish easily sweeps to even more inaccessible areas within the live rock setup.

What techniques do you recommend for removing this fish?

What kind of fish is it?  It does make a bit of difference sometimes, but to be honest, you might need to pull the rock out to catch it.

Guest hk132

The fish in question is a Orchid Dottyback.  A fast and fairly small little bugger -- he easily evades the net then can quickly hide amongst the rocks.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to remove the rocks.  Thanks though!

Couple of options.  I just removed all of my fish from a 120.

Try netting them at night, if they don't sleep in the rockwork.  You can try a fish trap.  Or you can try a barbless hook and some bait and go fishing in your tank.  I tried all of that and still had to remove half of my rockwork to get one of my fish.

Hope this helps.

BB

• 3 weeks later...
...  Or you can try a barbless hook and some bait and go fishing in your tank.

LOL!! :D   imagine that!  Reminds me of some old friends  during high school that had small sun perch and catfish in a old 90 FW tank. They used to get drunk and go fishing in the tank...ever since their bassmaster fishing boat stopped running!:O  

They said they were getting their fishing fix ...can you say, redneck?!?!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hk132

I tried building a fish trap, but after several hours the fish just would not enter -- even when food was offered.

In the end I ended up having to remove the rock... and I haven't been able to get the rock setup the way it way before.  Too bad... it had been nearly perfect!