Bare Bottom Question!

cabrego

So,

One of the issues I have with my bare bottom tanks is I get junk buidling which makes the bottom not so bare.

How the bare bottom guys and gals have there power heads arranged for flow?

Does anyone else have this problem?

I have one power head blow from the back to the front and one on each side of the tank. The main pump return is in the middle. I have enough flow to keep most things in the water column to flow through the overflow and into a sock filter. Mine still builds up in the middle of the front of the tank which is then siphoned out during water changes

I think one of the pros for bare bottom is that you get the detritus built up in certain places where you can simply siphon it out versus having to vaccuum or remove sand. On all of my school tanks this is pretty much the case with what we do with the barebottom tanks (we have gone barebottom in every tank except the mantis tank).

I think one of the pros for bare bottom is that you get the detritus built up in certain places where you can simply siphon it out versus having to vaccuum or remove sand. On all of my school tanks this is pretty much the case with what we do with the barebottom tanks (we have gone barebottom in every tank except the mantis tank).

1+ although I don't have a BB tank. But I used to breed Discus with BB tank.

I guess my problem is that the stuff that is building up is to heavy for the gravel vac. It is debris from rocks dusty stuff. If I could get the flow right I could transport that mess into the sump.

Well i have over 6,000 gph going through my tank so it never gets that thick :biggrin: My tanks only 36 x 24 x18