Tank photog help!

Sharkey18

I have been playing around with my new camera, CanonXTi with a 60 mm macro lens.

I think I figured out today that the 60mm is not good enough to get good shots of the smaller polyps.

Suggestions for a photographic idiot?

Laura

So the problem you are having is that small objects look blurry? Your camera should have a manual focus option.

I think I'm trying to get too close.... if I back up a bit I can find the right focus, but if I'm close, I can't. I am having luck with zoas and palys, but can't get my montipora or other sps well.

But I am on a steep learning curve. I know nothing about photography and this is my first SLR and I've never used manual focus or manual settings at all.... fun fun fun. Today I learned how to set a custom white balance... yay!

Laura

• 3 weeks later...

Autofocus is often next to worthless with macro shooting. Also, when you're that close, things like stability and camera shake start to become very important. Are you using a tripod or handholding?

Because of the quality of pictures your camera can take if you take the picture from a longer focal distance so that you can properly focus it you can later crop the image down to include just the items you want without harming the image quality. I don't know if you are a member of nano-reef or not but one of the mods/leading photographers on the site has put together a tutorial on how to take good tank pictures. It is stickeyed at the top of the photo-forum. I think even if you are not a member you will still have access to the photo-forum. Hopefully this helps.

Because of the quality of pictures your camera can take if you take the picture from a longer focal distance so that you can properly focus it you can later crop the image down to include just the items you want without harming the image quality. I don't know if you are a member of nano-reef or not but one of the mods/leading photographers on the site has put together a tutorial on how to take good tank pictures. It is stickeyed at the top of the photo-forum. I think even if you are not a member you will still have access to the photo-forum. Hopefully this helps.

Sharkey are you using a tripod? comes in handy on long exposures.

thanks for posting that, i too want to take close up shots of my corals but keep having to back up and even after cropping they dont look that good. I do use a tripod.

Sharkey are you using a tripod? comes in handy on long exposures.

thanks for posting that, i too want to take close up shots of my corals but keep having to back up and even after cropping they dont look that good. I do use a tripod.

What equipment are you using? It could just be the camera you are using does not create images that are of high enough quality to crop down. Also, depending on the type of camera you could use maginifying attachments or do what on member on nano-reef did and shoot pictures through a handlens or magnifying glass. It worked really well, but it does take practice.

I am using a Canon XTI with a 24-70mm Macro lense but after reading that thread on photography at nano-reef i have a an idea of what i must do. thanks so much for posting that, that is really helpfull. my next lense will the canon 100 or 105 macro, but they are pricey and wil have to save for a while.

I am using a Canon XTI with a 24-70mm Macro lense but after reading that thread on photography at nano-reef i have a an idea of what i must do. thanks so much for posting that, that is really helpfull. my next lense will the canon 100 or 105 macro, but they are pricey and wil have to save for a while.

Welcome!! I'm glad I could help.

You might want to look into the Sigma 150mm. Thats the one Daniel (dshnarw), my husband, just got not so long ago and he likes it alot. Its also I think similar in price to the Canon brand lenses and gives you a bit more range.

HERE is the link to the Nano-reef tutorial.

Thanks for all the info!! I am also using the canon XTi and have a 60 mm macro lens. I figured out that I was trying to get too close and if I backed off I was able to get focus, but not the detail I want.

Off to read the tutorial!!!

Laura