Sumps and Aptasia

Donmarco

I'm new when it comes to operating a tank with a sump, which I have under my 4 month old 120G reef tank. I see a number of those pesky Aptasia anemones growing on the pumps, tubing and the sump walls. I know they can spread but I wonder if I should be battling them in the sump, no matter where they appear as I would in my display tank? For those of you with sumps (which is probably a great number of you) I ask, what do you do about those Aptasia?

I know they can spread but I wonder if I should be battling them in the sump, no matter where they appear as I would in my display tank?

Yes you should. One of those going through your return pump could = lots of little ones in your display.

I haven't had them in a pretty long time. Knock on wood... But the few times I did I treated them by injecting kalk paste. I've seen peppermint shrimp eat the smaller ones.

they would spread to the display tank, however imo i would leave it as they are also good filter feeders and could be potentially beneficial for your tank

i think it would nearly impossible to rid them completely in the sump, but in the display tank i would aggressively battle them.

Kill them immediately. If you wait too long its all over... stay on top of it. At first I was good about killing aptasia and majano... then I got lazy and now I have a major problem... I have majano nems killing SPS now and I use aptasia-x 2 times a week.... they eat the flake food the fish miss and multiply like crazy... my problem is mainly majanos because I didn't realize they were almost as bad as aptasia...

If they grow on the sides/bottoms of rocks that you can't remove then you will never be able to "inject" them in the mouth b/c you can't see the mouth!!

I'd get rid of them with kalk injections, or scrapping them off the pumps, glass walls, wherever they are located. They will find their way out of the sump into your display tank sooner or later.

They may be good filter feeders but not worth the risk. There are other beneficial filter feeders, such as feather dusters.