Egg Crate

Guest mikesroth

Guest mikesroth

Ok, I went over to HD and bought some Eggcrate material for the top of my tank.  My question is.....

How do you cut it neatly?  It is made of a really ridged plastic, so I wasnt quite sure what I could use.  Any ideas, experiences?

Thanks!

I use plyers and break the plastic one small piece at a time.  By that I mean find the lenght that fits, then start on one side and just slowly 1 at a time break the small 1/2 piece of say vertical plastic that connects 2 rows of horizontal rows.

I have seen people be creative and make stairs out of them for prop. tanks & some LFS do that too to display frags.

my .00000000002

Guest mikesroth
Ugh, I was afraid that was the way to do it. :)  This might be ugly.  We had a goofy enough of a time getting the sheet in the car, it was 4feet x 2feet.  Oh well, should be enough left over to put on on Jen's tank too, if I dont break it the wrong way. :)

Guest Houshan
Ugh, I was afraid that was the way to do it. :)  This might be ugly.  We had a goofy enough of a time getting the sheet in the car, it was 4feet x 2feet.  Oh well, should be enough left over to put on on Jen's tank too, if I dont break it the wrong way. :)

Mike,

I have some extra (1/2" square) eggcrate if you need some.

- Jose

Guest mikesroth
Thanks Jose, but I bought some last night.  I was just hoping someone has some miricle way of cutting the material.

2 suggestions,

If it's the heavy grade, use a jigsaw blade slowly.

Also reverse a circular saw blade for a quick zip.

Both need to be done slowly and with care.

If it is the light grade, either a hacksaw blade or tin snips.

I have both over at my place

Howard

Guest tgallo
tin snips work great, or electrical side cutters work even better.J248-8_ICON.JPG

Guest mikesroth

Woo hoo... I actually have those (snips), and I even know where they are.  They should work perfect.

Thanks!!!

Guest Ruh Roh

Tin snips are great I used a pair of dikes when I cut mine, it cuts really easily. You will most likely have one side that is not right at a square, but you can put the edges to the back or side and it works great.

-James

Guest mikesroth

The snips cut it pretty good, not quite as smooth as I wanted.  Jen wasn't thrilled with me sending plastic pieces flying all over the living room. :D  I just need to find a file to help make it fit perfectly in the tank, couple of the edges stick out a bit too far.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I was going to recommend wire cutters as well.  You can also use a circular saw or a reciporating saw as well.  A hack saw works, but only for very short distances.

-Tom