DIY Canopy

dgtlwar

Doug and I are looking at building one ourselves in Oct if you want to get together and do them all at once? In case you haven't noticed, I swamped until the second weekend of Oct and would like to start around then.

Howard

Well I live in your neck of the woods & while I'm no Norm I'm pretty proficient w/ woodworking. Golf season is winding down so it's back to reef stuff for me :D

I can certainly give you an assist building a canopy. I have my last tourney this weekend &  be out of town from Oct 8th thru the 17th  - but aside from that I can help (also, since you're in the area week nights are do-able).

Full set of woodworking tools from tablesaw to plate joiner & a pick-em-up truck for material retrieval.

Any thoughts on a design? Paint grade or stain grade? Fans? Access? (you can stop by & see mine sometime - it's a simple 2 fan box w/ a hinged front door).

I think there might be some diagrams on my website too.

Which is pretty much the design I used  :D  I simply changed the front so that the hinges are on top & a bit more hidden.

[beer2]

ITS A PARTY - ITS A PARTY

[crzy]

Oh no, not another one!

Ok, guys lets try to work towards a date, say either weekend of 23rd or 30th Oct.

Erik,

Would you be honored to host this little event with you carrying the right tools for the job on-site?

My recommendations would be that each reefer do their own plans on and if need be with help, plan their material list including wood, hinges, fans, lighting, etc to bring to the work party. Bring all at once to use equipment and guidance to cut and put together. Suggestions or comments?

Howard

Update: Ok Eric, update your profile, where do you live?

I'd be more than happy to host the event, my initial thoughts are:

#1 - Weather might be crucial as my "workshop" is an 8x10 shed - not too much room :D (wife is amazed I can make anything in there). If the weather is ok we can always move the tablesaw onto the deck & have a few stations going (i.e. slice sheet, tablesaw, miter saw). Poor weather would limit the room.

#2 - Speed, as most of us know speed & woodworking = bad juju (we don't want any new members of the "nub club"). I'm not sure how many we could get done. I guess this depends on complexity - I'm sure we could get a few "square boxes" done.

#3 - I have zero creativity, asking me for a design is like looking for water in a desert :D I copy/alter most everything I do (see post above)

On to the good stuff, I have the following tools -

Tablesaw w/ a 30+" rip & 21" crosscut

Mitersaw (compound)

Compressor w/ brad nailer & stapler (anyone have a finish nailer)

Plate jointer (aka biscuit joiner)

Drill press w/ hole saws up to 5"

Router, 2.25hp 1/2" & 1/4" chucks

The usual assortment of hand tools.

I also have some software that can calculate cut lists (you supply the pieces & it figures out the material needed)

Starting early is no problem for me, I don't really like the neighbors anyway  :D

Do we have to make our own plans??? Can't I cheat and use someone elses?

Heck yeah, that's what I did - thanks Pez  :D  (I just changed it to have a full front door = easier for the truly lazy)

Pardon me for rambling, but here are my thoughts...I takes about a weekend to make a hood.  It only takes a couple of hours to cut the wood for the hood (depending on the design), but assembling the hood and adding the lighting is time consuming (but not difficult).  You will need a lot of room if more than one person is working at a time (more than 8x10).  We tried to have a building party when the club first started (it was our first club event) and we only managed to cut enough wood for one hood in 2+ hours.  Setup, tear down, chit-chat, etc took up the rest of the time.

There are two approches to this:  cut all the hood in advance and build hood as the party, or party while cutting the wood and assemble it later or during another party.  Otherwise, you need to have an assembly line type process in order to get everything done in one day.  Far too organized for this club ;)

I'm willing to help out with this, but Saturdays are bad for me.

-Tom

First off I'd say thanks to Pez for expounding on what I meant by #2. I agree as I'm not sure how many was could get built in a day. If they were just square boxes (5 sides, one a door) I'd say we might get three done in a day....IF....the weather co-operated. And my definition of "done" is a box that's ready for paint/stain, no wiring, and no fans (just the holes). Add any sort of complexity to the design & there's no way more than 1 or two can get done. I will say that I'm a bit faster than the 2+ hours for 1 box example. Having a cutlist (software) reduces time, as does the fact that I'm really familiar with my tools & there's no setup (also air tools make short work of attachments).

The "problem" lies in the design & contruction. For example I built my whole deck in a weekend but 1 canopy take take much more time. This is because deck construction is "good enough" where as making a furniture grade canopy requires accuarcy to 1/64" or better - this takes time (and a fair bit of skill).

As Tom mentions working on more than 1 in a 8x10 area isn't do-able (heck I still have to slice sheets outside :D ), so weather is a big factor.

Okay, enough of the negative :D

I'd be more than willing to work w/ everyone 1 on 1 to get them built. When I say I don't design I mean everyone's taste is different - I CAN help with design issues, i.e. will that work, how can XYZ be accomplished, ventilation, etc. If you do a search on ReefCentral you can find tons of different designs - I can tell you what it would take to build most of them. Basically there are two different types. The solid "box" type that Pez has on his website & a frame w/ skin type. The frame & skin design is much lighter & better suited to larger canopies. The solid box design is simpler to build (sort of) & better suited to small tanks (4' & less).

I pretty much DIY everything @ my house so while I'm no expert in anything I have quite a bit of experience with a lot of stuff. Don't hestitate to contact me if you have any Q's.

Guest mikesroth
Well to be honest, I don't NEED a canopy built right now, but would be glad to come, help and learn.  The tank we are looking to put a canopy on we dont have yet.  Not quite sure how I am going to get the tank to our house, much less a huge canopy. :)  This would give me a good chance to see how they are built, maybe give me some ideas for what I need/want.

Not quite sure how I am going to get the tank to our house,

That's my issue, trying to figure out how to get a 300+lb tank into the house (or to go acrylic - w/ the associated issues). :D

Canopies are pretty simple, basically a box - how you decorate/trim them is where it can get complex.

Guest mikesroth
Well the tank we are getting is someone's old 185 Acrylic tank.  I have to do a stand for it too, but that is another story.  (maybe another DIY party... although I'll have the same issue.)

Eric,

Agree whole heartedly with you on time frame. IMO, this is why the planning needs to be done BEFORE we have this meeting, this will allow all that is needed in parts etc to be set before board one is cut.

IMO, we should set a planning meeting in the evening after work before the meeting to use our thought in the PLANNING side of this. Once we got this done, the putting together will go smoothly....yeah right  [crzy]

SO, what I'm recommending is say around the second week of Oct, I can setup a meeting say at my place or somewhere else and we can all bring our crayon's, rulers and craft paper and do a brain storming to figure out what each of us want in the finished product, etc. THEN have a get together to do the cutting, etc. Of course allowing a few days in between to actually pickup materials.

So#1 What size is your tank to cover?

#2 What do you want to put into the cover? MH, PC, VHO,?

#3 Material wish list, woods, fans, lights, wiring, hinges, etc

#4 Limitations of the dream team, who can do what

#5 Set a date to allow time to p/u material for the construction side

Howard

Isn't the next WAMAS meeting the second weekend in October?

Yep, And to quote myself -

I can certainly give you an assist building a canopy. I have my last tourney this weekend &  be out of town from Oct 8th thru the 17th  - but aside from that I can help (also, since you're in the area week nights are do-able).

I was leaning more for an evening week day, but with the meeting being on the 9th, that might actually be a good time to do a brain storming after the meeting!

Maybe if people could bring pictures of their tanks and canopy's, it would be a good time to show and tell what works better for others on this issue???

Howard