DIY chemical filter...

Guest Kimo

Guest Kimo

I was kicking this idea around some time ago and I finally got around to doing it.  I will post pics later.

I wanted some way to run carbon, rowaphos, etc actively instead of jsut putting a bag in my sump, so here's what I did:

Parts

-----

2 x 2" PVC cap

1 x 2" PVC union

~14" 2" PVC

1 x 90 degree 1/4" tubing quick connect (John Guest style, found at Home Depot)

1 x 1/4" Ball Valve tubing quick disconnect

1 x Round filter foam for a Fluval

1/4" tubing for the quick connects

Tools

-----

Hacksaw

7/16" Drill Bit

1/4" NPT Tap

PVC Cement

Here's what I did:

Cut the 2" PVC into a 12" piece and a 2" piece

Drill the end caps directly in the middle (easiest from the INSIDE) and tap the holes with the 1/4" NPT tap.  

Glue one cap on the end of the 12" PVC section and the other on the 2" PVC section (leave 1" or so outside the cap).  

Glue the other end of the 12" PVC section into the botom of the 2" union (the side WITHOUT the ring.)

Glue the other end of the 2" section into the top of the 2" union (the side WITH the ring.)

Using teflon tape, screw the 1/4" ball valve quick connect into one end and the 90 deg. quick connect into the other end.

Cut out a circle from the foam that will fit snugly inside the end caps.  Since the fluval foam is thick, just cut the circle you just made in half so that you have 2 circles.

When the PVC glue has dried, insert a foam circle into each end.  

Filter media should be in its own bag, although with the foam you could probably just place it inside the filter without an additional bag.  Fill the bag with the media (carbon, rowa, etc) and slide it into the long side of the unit.  It should fill the chamber, more or less, so that the flow will have to pass through the media.

Tee off of the return from your sump, adding another 1/4" Ball valve quick connect, so that you can remove the filter without much effort.  Insert the 1/4" tubing like this:

return line -> 90 degree fitting

ball valve (on filter) -> sump

Adjust the flow into the filter so that it is slightly greater than the flow out of the filter.  This will pressurize the filter, and increase contact time with filter media.  

Now, I am open to suggestions on this.  I think that contact time is important, so low flow along with the pressurized filter will accomplish this.

I will post pictures as soon as I get a chance.

Any questions/comments are extrememly welcome!

Thanks,

Jamie

Jamie,

where did you find a 7/16" drill bit?  I have a tap, and want a correct bit to go with it :)

Guest Kimo

I got it as a set at home depot...You might be able to find one there.

By the way - I set this up last night and it works really well.  I don't pressurize the chamber like I thought - It's unnecessary.  I just hooked up everything and left the chamber valve wide open.  Currently, I'm running some carbon without a filter bag.  The chamber holds about 2 cups, perfect for my 180.  I may start running SMALL amounts of RowaPhos in it, slowly increasing the amount until I get my phosphates down, but I am not sure yet due to the problems Tony and others have had.

So far so good.

J