What is the correct stand height for a 90 gal

Guest mmcaleer

Guest mmcaleer

I am building a new stand for my tank and want to know what should be the correct height of a stand for a 90 gallon tank?  Does it matter?  Is there a standard?

I was thinking about 36".

Thanks,

Mike

There is no "standard", you can build it to suit your needs. Just keep in mind that the higher you go the more you need to worry about it tipping over. At 36" for an 18" wide tank you would be okay, though a strap connecting the stand to the wall is good for peace of mind.

most skimmers and equipment are 20"+ and I would allow for room to take things on and off.  Thus I would say make it minimum 30"

I can only fit a 5-10 lb bottle of CO2 cause my stand is too short.

Going higher causes a problem for acess into the tank as well- unless you are super tall.  90's are high tanks, so keep that in mind- you will at times want to be able to reach all the way in the tank.

Going higher causes a problem for acess into the tank as well- unless you are super tall.  90's are high tanks, so keep that in mind- you will at times want to be able to reach all the way in the tank.

Forgot that point - at 6'4" I sometimes forget about the vertically challenged people reaching in their tanks  [ws]  

tng

Also think about how you will be viewing the tank.  A really high tank may be good for standing and looking, but if you're going to be sitting around looking, a lower tank works too.  I think 32-36" is a good range.

Forgot that point - at 6'4" I sometimes forget about the vertically challenged people reaching in their tanks  [ws]  

tng

that's why I have a stepstool to get into my lowly 55g which is a 21" tall tank.  The stand is 37"  tall (It's on industrial strength wheels)"  The opening for under the stand is 24" high which doesn't allow much clearance when doing anything in the sump/fuge. That is definitely a key factor when determining your stand height is interior height.

Guest mmcaleer

Thanks for all the input.  I will probably go with 36".  Fortunately I am placing the tank in my basement against a wall of the unfinished portion.  This way I can place my sump, skimmer and all plumbing in the other room right behind the tank.

Mike

Guest mmcaleer

I built a stand for my 50 gallon at 36" and it looked a bit high so I decided to build my stand for the 90 gallon to 32".  This worked much better.

Mike