tunze stream

Guest Aurora

Guest Aurora
Anyone attempting to DIY a Tunze Stream?  Anyone in the area have one?  I'd like to take a close look at one to see why they are charging so much and people are buying them off the shelves..

Hi Aurora!

They can be expensive, produce a bit more than most powerheads...but vendors not being able to keep them on the shelves? Where have you been looking? I know part of the shortage from time to time (according to three of their online wholesalers) is the ship time from Europe. Not trying to be facetious, but might be able to guide you in the right direction :)

What size tank do you plan to use them on? On another note, the reefcentral article is written by Roger form Tunze (who sells the turbelles, may have been a better read if done by a less supporting cast) and the MSRP on the other competitor products are severely overpriced (sometimes double). Perhaps this is to justify the high price of the Turbelles (especially with the mention of the ATK line), but I think a better approach would be why they are better (which he does list somewhat).

Some members locally have tried the SCWD on a closed loop to be more cost effective. I will do my best to bring one to the frag event on the 18th. Otherwise if you don't go the basic powerhead, SCWD, or SeaSwirl method and the income is disposable (or dedicated to certain products like Tunze's line) the Turbelles would make an excellent choice.

There was a DIY type version, known as the "reeftec" I believe that used a propellar.  The problem was with the little giant pump that was recommended for it- it just didn't hold up under salt water.  Tunze stuff is expensive- I picked up one of the powerheads used recently.  There is a lot of electronics to these- a bit different than normal pumps.  I saw some of the streams on Eric Borneman's tank in August, and that thing moves a whole lot of water, FWIW.