Question-material source

dgasmd

I am loosely considering making a jumbo/huge Ca reactor. Where do you guys get the acrylic tubes? I want to make it 8" diameter for the first chamber with 4" diamter for the second and at least 24" high (would prefer 36" actually). Dual chamber of course!!

So, where do I get this tubes? Local places? Mail order?

Alberto

Guest cbo

I dont know about that size.  But my local source is acme plastics in alexandria.  Their info is as follows:

Acme Plastics

(703)642-3030

5655 General Washington # D

Alexandria, VA  22312

Dont look for alot of hand holding in the store, but if you know what you are looking for they are helpfull.  While you are there you can make offers on their scrap pile.  They usually charge a few $ per pound for anything in their scrap pile.  I got about 30 pounds one day and offered a lump sum at about 75% off that price and they said sure.

cbo

Alberto-

for something that size you should really consider making a box for the first chamber.  You will pay out the nose for both PVC and acrylic at that size, and you don't need to.  For a calcium reator, the tube does nothing to enhance performance.  There were some great "box designs" of reactors over on RC.  Other bonus is it fits easier, and doesn't need a special base to keep it from tipping.

Michael.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest aiptasia

www.usplastic.com

4 1/2" Acrylic tubing fits 4" PVC.  6ft minumum but the price is right.  Build a Nilsen Reactor with any leftover.

Guest snapper
Boxes are harder to seal.  But tubes are tougher to plumb.  Ah, the choices...

Well, after considering prices and headaches, I decided to have GEO in RC make me a custom unit. It is 36" tall and 8" diameter with a little giant 2MD pump for recirculation. It holds close to 50 LB of media and should be coming this week.

Thanks for the input.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nosartur
I am in the design stage of a new tank.  I have been trying to decide between building or buying an AGA.  If I build a tank it will be either all acrylic or plywood+acrylic.  I am looking for a a supplier for the acrylic.  So far the cheapest I have found has been GE Polynershapes up in Jessup.I can get a 1/2 inch full sheet for $180 picked up.  Does anyone know of a supplier that might be cheaper.  I have called Laird (next cheapest at $208 or $262 delivered), Peidmont ($264 picked-up), and and Acme ($315 picked up).

There is a guy in the CMAS board named NAGA that used to do acrylic work for a company somewhere around the area. He knows the better prices and places to get any acrylic piece. Send him an e-mail via the www.cmas-md.org board or go to www.reefcentral.com and do a search under his name. Then, send him an email.

Alberto

???