Building party

michaelg

Guest phillipw
I can get the materials there and the stand home. I am in the process of searching for tank stand plans. I have seen a few with materials lists and pictures but not much detail as far as assembling them. I will continue to look and perhaps can develop and scalable plan we could use for anyone that wants to build one. I am sure that there would be work to do at home, I would be happy just to just get the substruture complete.

Guest Kimo

I got the weld on at tap plastics - I ordered online.  Make sure you get the applicator bottles and a funnel for the weld on 3.

Jamie

Jamie- I can bring some large syringes if they will help with application.  Can also bring needles.  From reading on RC, the guy there suggested putting 21ga needles in between the 2 pieces, applying the solvent, then pulling the pins.  Anyone ever try this?  Personally, clean seams for the sump aren't important.  Making sure it doesn't leak is!  I was planning to initially apply the weldon 3, then after curing, going back with weldon 16, allowing a couple days, then silicon bead the inside seam.  Likely overkill, but I figure it can't hurt, correct?  I will put up the dimensions of the sump tomorrow in a new thread and my plans for it so I can get some critique.  

Michael

Guest snapper

Michael,

The only thing I'd add is soldering and as a final measure apply a 4" coat of blacktop. :D

I dont have a lot of tools But I do have a case of leftover duct tape ( from the evil terrorist scare) and I have a bottle of school glue and some wd 40. Can we build something with that?

Joking aside I dont have a lot of tools but I have access to a full blown cabinet shop. A good friend (who is coming to the next meeting) is just jumping into the hobby with a 175 gal reef. The shop is his. Nice guy, trying to learn about reefs, He will be a good friend to us all. We have already built some skimmers.

Guest Kimo

michael - can you get glass syringes with needles?  The solvent would probably dissolve plastic syringes.

Jamie

Not sure on the glass ones.  Didn't even think about them dissolving the plastic.  Let me hunt around and see if we have some.  I know there are hamilton syringes that are glass, but the volume for them is way too small to be of any use.  Are you sure polypropylene will be dissolved by the solvent?  It is pretty resistant as I recall.

Michael

Guest Kimo

I'm not sure, honestly - I have 2 applicator bottles I got from tap plastics.  They may be made of polypropylene, and they are solvent resistant.

One can always try :)

I'll bring my applicators to the DIY party.

Jamie

If you guys are willing to do the DIY on a Sunday, I would love to help out and build something like a new reactor. I have built over a 100 or so cabinets the past 12 years, but am now really interested in working with all types of acrylics. I have lots of stuff, but sounds like someone has a garage out there to build all this stuff? I don't have a garage, and the Mastiffs like jumping on visitors, so I think it would be best not to offer to host, although it would be fun to watch everyone running from the puppies! Saturdays are really tough to make, although if they were free I would be in VA!