T5 recommendation?

Sharkey18

I want to upgrade my PC lights to T5's. I have a 54 gallon corner tank with softies and LPS. I am not interested in keeping SPS yet.

My issue is because the tank is shaped like a trivial pursuit wedge, getting even light from front to back is a pain. I am looking for something that is wider rather than longer. I have heard great things about the ice cap ballasts to overdrive t5's but I am not a good DIY person and don't even really know quite what a ballast does....

I was looking at this current nova extreme.

light

If anyone has any suggestions on where to shop or what to get I would appreciate it. I have no problems with a custom built unit but would need a lot of help / suggestions from the vendor.

Laura

I want to upgrade my PC lights to T5's. I have a 54 gallon corner tank with softies and LPS. I am not interested in keeping SPS yet.

My issue is because the tank is shaped like a trivial pursuit wedge, getting even light from front to back is a pain. I am looking for something that is wider rather than longer. I have heard great things about the ice cap ballasts to overdrive t5's but I am not a good DIY person and don't even really know quite what a ballast does....

I was looking at this current nova extreme.

light

If anyone has any suggestions on where to shop or what to get I would appreciate it. I have no problems with a custom built unit but would need a lot of help / suggestions from the vendor.

Laura

That fixture looks as good as any standard fixture. I believe it's pretty popular. www.reefgeek.com is a good place to shop, as is marine depot, hello lights and premium aquatics. If you wanted to DIY, you would definitely have more options. You could arrange some shorter bulbs up front and in the back and use longer bulbs in the middle. Or any other configuration that would fit your tank better.

With the tank you have I would suggest DIY retro kits. They are very easy to hook up. What ever you decided to get for your T5s make sure that each bulb has it's own reflector. The DIY kits will give you more flexibility as Brian mentioned.

I've been looking at Current's options for my 90 gallon tank too. Having to wipe salt creep off the glass instead of in between each bulb is tempting!

The DIY retro kits are interesting, but I'm pretty intimidated by a DIY light project to be honest. I'm not an electrician either so I'd need help in that department. Would anyone who's done a DIY light project be willing to post what you did, how you did your installation process (details please), how it turned out, and how you feel about the results?

• 4 weeks later...

The retro kits you can get are pretty easy to deal with. The wiring is color coded and the diagrams are very easy to follow. I was concerned when I got my first one but within 30 minutes I had everything wired up and running.