Water Pump

Triggerfish31

I still have my four fish that survived the Ich outbreak in my 30g tank. Back in October I got the Lifegard Filtration System as an add on to my other filter system. When the product arrived the shaft in the pump was cracked and I waited a week for its replacement. I just finished filling up my 75g tank and added the new shaft in the pump and it still does not work and found out that the two plastic bonds to the magnet had broke, and the company will not take the pump back since more than six weeks has passed since I got the equipment. I am trying to find a replacement external water pump equivalent to the Quiet One 4000 High Head Water Pump. Any help would be appreciated since I am not familiar with water pumps as a whole. The pump I have maxes out at 990gph.

Aaron :fish:

Do you know how much head pressure you have? If this is a typical 75 setup, 4-6 ft is pretty typical which puts you around 800 gph with that pump. Since you're running external, your choice for pumps is almost unlimited. The Reeflo pumps are excellent, as are the PanWorld. I personally own 3 of the Reeflo pumps: 1 Dart and 2 Barracudas. I recommend the reeflo pumps to anyone setting up a system. They must be run externally, but it's not a magnetic drive system. It's a high performance electric motor attached to an impeller. With proper care, they will last forever. The 4000 High Head retails for $103. It looks like the snapper or dart will work for you but it's a little more money. At 6 ft of head, you should see around 2500 gph from the dart. The snapper will produce a little less. If this is too much flow, then just put a ball valve on the output and dial it back. It can run as low as 400 gph. Tink has a dart for sale here:

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=26948

Price looks good and the pump will last you forever.

Edit: Just noticed you're not a member. If you like this pump, you should join up. The discount will more than pay for your membership.

Edited by Brian Ward

I was on the Marine Depot site and the price for the Reeflo pumps is more than what I want to spend on a pump. I did notice another pump that sparks my interests. Do you have any experience with the Little Giant Inline Water Pumps? That is more in my price range and just wanted to get some feedback.

:fish:

I was on the Marine Depot site and the price for the Reeflo pumps is more than what I want to spend on a pump. I did notice another pump that sparks my interests. Do you have any experience with the Little Giant Inline Water Pumps? That is more in my price range and just wanted to get some feedback.

:fish:

I don't have any personal experience with it, but there are several members here that have one and I haven't heard anything bad. As with all pumps be sure to disassemble and soak the impeller and housing in vinegar every 6 mos or so to remove any calcium buildup. As long as you do that, they should last forever.