Doing 29g Biocube over

bamainva

After neglecting my tank and not being happy with the appearance, I thought it was best to rearrange. Still working on the zoas and having all of them opening, I saw a couple that actually are open this morning, so there might be some hope yet for them.

Arrangement before....

gallery_2631497_424_484.jpg

Re arrangement after...(last night 1/10)

gallery_2631497_424_91240.jpg

this morning...(1/11)

gallery_2631497_424_108384.jpg

Overall, I am happy with this arrangement for a few reasons.

1) I can actually get to all the glass to clean it (WOW..what a concept)

2) I can now see my jawfish all the time. I didn't want to disturb his old home, so I built around it and made a cove to view him

gallery_2631497_424_32947.jpg

3) The flow actually seems to be a little better with this

4) I believe I have more area to place corals

5) I found some things I didn't even know I had..I am sure they will get some coloring back

gallery_2631497_424_108075.jpg

I still have some work to do and getting all the glass clean and look into some modifications with the bank filter system, but I am happy with the overall look of the rock at this point.

Let me know your thougths on the new aquascape.

Thanks,

Mike

Looks really cool, I always liked the "cove" setup like you have it now. That jawfish is the centerpiece and its great that it now has a protected area to hang out. I would think this setup will give you more flow because the water column can swirl around the outside, like a toilet bowl effect. When I had one of these type of tanks years ago, I found out the same thing. Best to pile it in the middle so you can clean the glass. You can make it taller too, by bumping up the rocks with wire racks and/or pvc, etc. (hidden under the rocks, proping up the rocks). I saw a couple threads where this was done - would also improve flow through the rocks.

I had been considering getting a tank like this for my apartment, maybe a JBJ HQI. But then I began planning it out and all the stuff I would want, ATO to RO/DI reservoir, refugium, kalk stirrer and reactor, controller with pH and temp probes, extra nano koralias on wavemaker, upgraded skimmer, backup parts for everything possible, test kits of phosphates, calcium, etc etc etc., new filters for RO/DI system and backups, backup bulbs, gloves, micronutrient supplements, etc. ....... After I recovered from the headache caused by the planning stage, I have not gone back to the idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to snap a few pictures since I am "working" from home today. So far things have been going decent, with the exception that I lost the firefish last night. I believe the jawfish is loving it..he has burrows built everywhere.

Here are a few pics of how things are looking. I am moving a lot slower and looking at mostly having mushrooms and softies. Still pleased with the aquascape and overall appearance compared to what is was like.

Full Tank Shot 2.2.09

gallery_2631497_424_81564.jpg

Some mushrooms

gallery_2631497_424_138184.jpg

LPS (a year old now)

gallery_2631497_424_122895.jpg

My first coral that I purchased when I had a 12g aquapod

gallery_2631497_424_94103.jpg

And this (my scientific name) which was about 1.5in about 4 months ago

gallery_2631497_424_122257.jpg

Thanks

Mike