New tank recommendations

Guest phillipw

Guest phillipw

I am looking to replace my 75 gallon glass tank with something around 125 gallons.

The first question is should I go with glass or acrylic? Any recommendation on which manufacturer? Best place locally to purchase? I have a Lifereef filter system with overflow so the new tank doesn’t have to be reef ready but most likely I will get one that is. Are there any other considerations?

Guest tgallo
hey theres a guy on reef central selling a 125 reef ready also drilled in the back for closed loops for 200.00 and he's local to rockville md ive met him before and seems like a nice guy, you mite want to look up the post in selling forums on reef central i think its on the third page and he goe's by the name dado.

Alberto (dgasmd) has one I dont remember if is reef ready but 125 aga tank stand & canopy coundt give you any more details but i know is sitting in his garage,perfect conditions.

hope it helps :)

Rob, thanks for the shameless plug, but I sold the tank to a guy from work over 4 months ago and he has not come to get it yet.

phillipw:

If you want to get a new tank, I would highly recommend you get a 180. It is the same length as the 125, but it is 24" front to back, which will make all the difference in the world. Trust me on this one. :;):  The 180 is the largest standard male of glass tanks you'll find in any of the stores. Glass vs acrylic is really not an issue until you get to larger than 180 tanks. Anything 180 or smaller in my mind is a waste not to go with glass. Acrylic is clearer, weight less, and also much more expensive than glass in most if not all tanks smaller than 180 gal.

I would go with a reef ready glass 180 from All Glass Aquarium. Cheapest place in the area will be The Aquarium Center in Baltimore. Just don't let them talk you into other crap you don't need like sand filters, undergravel filters, or 150 watt halides!! Tank and stand is all you need. The canopy you'll ahve to build or ahve it built by someone else if you want to house a lot of VHO or MH. The rest of the equipment buy online for the best prices.

Hope that helps you.

Alberto :D

Rob, thanks for the shameless plug, but I sold the tank to a guy from work over 4 months ago and he has not come to get it yet.

phillipw:

If you want to get a new tank, I would highly recommend you get a 180. It is the same length as the 125, but it is 24" front to back, which will make all the difference in the world. Trust me on this one. :;):  The 180 is the largest standard male of glass tanks you'll find in any of the stores. Glass vs acrylic is really not an issue until you get to larger than 180 tanks. Anything 180 or smaller in my mind is a waste not to go with glass. Acrylic is clearer, weight less, and also much more expensive than glass in most if not all tanks smaller than 180 gal.

I would go with a reef ready glass 180 from All Glass Aquarium. Cheapest place in the area will be The Aquarium Center in Baltimore. Just don't let them talk you into other crap you don't need like sand filters, undergravel filters, or 150 watt halides!! Tank and stand is all you need. The canopy you'll ahve to build or ahve it built by someone else if you want to house a lot of VHO or MH. The rest of the equipment buy online for the best prices.

Hope that helps you.

Alberto :D

ridetheducati may still have his tank for sale as well, and would be woth a look.  Also see what I posted up in the vendor news- Leon has severl 180s in the store.

Guest phillipw

Thanks all for the responses so far…

Tgallo: Thanks I checked that out and may go that way depending on the budget my wife gives me. I prefer the holes in the bottom to avoid things hanging down the back.

Alberto: A 180 would be sweet but I would be concerned about the weight since the tank is in my living room on the 1st floor. Also my LF-125 filter system and skimmer is rated for 125 gallons and my lighting (400W MH, 220W VHO) would be insufficient to run a 180. Those screams you would hear would be my wife if I suggested that much in upgrade costs. I do however very much agree with you about the 18 inch depth. For that reason I am very much considering a 120 which is 48”x 24”x 24”. It also has the advantage of only one cross support on top and my current light hood would work on it until I built a new one. Now I just have to decide if I want the width more the the length.

It looks like I will go with AGA for the price but my other concern is the way their overflows work with the top and bottom intakes. I have read that the bottom intakes can clog and I am very much concerned what bottom intakes would do to my DSB. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Once again thanks all for your help.

Phillip