Tapping flexible tubing for filter

SnowHeart

I've been trying to figure out where in my condo to install a water filtration system. The only two options on the same floor as the aquarium are the kitchen faucet and the powder room.

It won't fit under the kitchen sink and the faucet won't accept an adapter, so the kitchen is out. That leaves the powder room, which shares a wall with our coat closet. I was thinking of putting the filter in that closet, and running the feed through the wall to a tap off the powder room's cold water line but, when I looked under the sink, I saw that the line is actually flexible tubing, about 1/2" in diameter, solid white in color. Is there anyway to tap that kind of tubing, or install new tubing with a 'T' intersection to create a feed for the filtration system?

I can provide pictures in a little bit if it would help.

Does the flexible tubing go back to a shut off valve which should be on 1/2" pipe? If so, you could put a piercing valve in on the supply side of that.

Here's a pic.

IMG_0435.jpg

After looking at this, I'm guessing I should be able to unscrew the flexible hosing, put in a short extension of some sort, and then reattach the feed to the faucet. Make sense?

Here's a pic.

IMG_0435.jpg

After looking at this, I'm guessing I should be able to unscrew the flexible hosing, put in a short extension of some sort, and then reattach the feed to the faucet. Make sense?

No, you want to do it a bit differently. 1- I can't believe they put in a plastic valve. that is beyond being cheap. Keep an eye on it, it will break eventually and you'll want to replace it with a metal, probably 1/4 turn valve. Also, the white flex tubing doesn't last as long as the metal braided tubing. That stuff will also break, usually when you're not home and cause a small flood. It's good for a few years, but keep an eye on it to save yourself a headache.

Now, on to what you're actually trying to do :) use the piercing saddle valve to pierce the metal pipe behind the valve. You may actually want to cut the wall in the coat closet to expose the pipes and add the saddle valve there. If you do, try to frame it in and make it look nice because you don't want to hide the saddle valve behind drywall. The saddle valve looks like this and is usually available at home depot or lowes though you may not be able to find it with the push-in connector:

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/SV-6/Su...upply_Line.html

You can tell the employee at the plumbing supply store what you have and they can put together a T seup on the brass fitting and then screw the hose back to the new fitting. The whole set-up should be less than $15.00. They can hook a control valve (faucet) in the setup also. Make sure you get the plastic line also to reach your setup.

Edited by Highland Reefer

Thanks guys. Two options to consider. (The closet is actually on the opposite side of the wall to the right of this picture, rather than the opposite of the wall behind the sink, so cutting into the drywall probably doesn't make much sense.)

Brian, as for the workmanship... yeah. There is a similar plastic valve used on the toilet in our master bath. Guess what? It doesn't work. I think the previous owner did some bad DIY work... better than I likely could have done, but I still figure either do it right or hire someone else to do it for you. If I'm going to be futzing with this much more than just tapping in behind the valve as you suggested, I may just ask the hardware store what I need to rip out the whole thing and do it right.

Anyway, thanks again guys. Helpful as always. :cheers: