calcium reactor

DDiver

how many of you run them on your sps tanks?do you feel it is essential to use one to maintain your calcium level?how many simply dose calcium supplements?

Right now I dose Brightwell's calcium daily at the rate of 5ML on about 150 gallons and I stay at around 428 with 10% weekly water changes.

As soon as the balling machines are a little more available, I will be going that direction.

There is no way I would have a tank full of SPS without one. Constant, balanced addition of calcium and carbonate with little effort.

For anything bigger than a 75 or for a smaller tank completely packed with sps yes they are very useful. Can be tricky to learn at first, but the learning curve is worth the effort. I just installed a big Korallin C10000 on my system a few months ago, and the alkalinity has been 8 DKH +/- .1 ever since. I haven't had to touch the thing since august, just thump the feed line every few weeks. Installing one properly in order to get a consistent flow-through rate can be tricky, and I like to have pH safeguards in place via aquacontroller (or similar) to prevent accidents.

What other equipment is needed to run the cal/kalk reactor?regulator,02 cylinder,aquacontroller,ph probe?...how much should I expect to spend?

A good Ca reactor for a 120 will probably run you $300-400

A good regulator/solenoid like a Reef Fanatic is $140

Aquacontroller Jr. with pH probe and DC-4 is around $250 (but this can do a lot more than handle a Ca reactor)

CO2 tank is about 80-100

So expect about $900 new.

You could also keep your eye out for used equipment. I had a Korallin reactor for sale but it is already spoken for.

You might also look at a pair of dosing pumps for two-part Ca/Alk solutions, but you'll also need an aquacontroller for these to get fine-grained control and pH-based overdose protection.

Stable alkalinity in a heavily stocked sps tank isn't cheap :why:

Agree that at some point a SPS heavy tank will require either daily dosing or a calcium reactor. The testing indicator for this move is when you can not maintain your alkalinity. Some rapidly growing corals such as the green bali slimer may actually start to die without alk and calcium maintained at thier proper levels. Once a good Calcium reactor is set up and tweaked right, it is really as much of a fire and forget peice of gear as this hobby has. If you do not want this type of set up - I would go more heavily into LPS and softies with only one or two SPS specimens.

I've got a 120g with a good amount of SPS, although not packed with them, and I only use a kalk reactor with my top off water. That seems to keep my calcium and alk in good balance. As the SPS grow, I'm sure I'm going to have to add a reactor or start dosing.

I TOLD YOU BRO' ;)

right Now I'm looking at what my options are...profilux automated doser since I'm going down the brightwell route on the 120 or the cal/kalk setup which right now seems like it will cost me a little more and would require fine tuning of which I have no prior experience...

right Now I'm looking at what my options are...profilux automated doser since I'm going down the brightwell route on the 120 or the cal/kalk setup which right now seems like it will cost me a little more and would require fine tuning of which I have no prior experience...

I can make you an excelent deal on the calc and kalk reactor... PM if your interested.

Yea also , see how soon you have to replace the supplements and the cost per year and put them together and compare, prices.

As for the fine tuning is really no biggy, I know that you are not familiar with the equipment but is very simple.

I help you set it up if yo need to, but is really your preference and whatever makes you feel comfortable, I always had reactors and once you set them right you forget about the rest. just my 2 cents

If you have any DIY skills, you can save a little money and put together something like this pretty easily: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1485062

That would be about $150-200, plus $150 for a high quality regulator/bubble counter/solenoid combo (don't skimp on this part), $80-100 for the tank. That puts the cost of the set-up itself at around $400-450. After that it will cost you less than $50/year.

IMO you don't absolutely need a PH controller to run a calcium reactor, but like Ctenophore said it does provide an important safety factor.

Right now I dose Brightwell's calcium daily at the rate of 5ML on about 150 gallons and I stay at around 428 with 10% weekly water changes.

As soon as the balling machines are a little more available, I will be going that direction.

What are the "balling machines", never heard of that?

automated dosing systems like the one i am looking at....Profilux

I guess it has been around for a while, but the first time I read abut it was here

There are a couple making there way in to the country, and a couple that have been around.

IMHO, the wave of the future in reef keeping.

After seeing that tank again I'm almost convinced that I will most likely be riding that wave...

After seeing that tank again I'm almost convinced that I will most likely be riding that wave...

From the research I have done [mostly based on the zeofit tanks] the ones that really look killer are the ones only growing SPS corals. I'm slowly getting rid of my softies to my lil 29.