CMAS Meeting -- National Aquarium In Baltimore

90OcReef

logo_NAIB.gif

Hello everybody!

Our October CMAS meeting is approaching very quickly! This month we have a very special guest speaker from the National Aquarium In Baltimore.

Keri O'Neil, Senior Aquarist at NAIB, will be speaking about SECORE Project. SECORE was developed in 2002 to establish captive coral populations using sexual reproduction. Primarily the techniques were aimed at stocking public aquaria with live captive raised corals. Over the years, it became obvious that the established techniques might also play an important role in future coral reef restoration. Keri has had the opportunity to participate in this wonderful endeavor and share her experience with us.

All attendees will be able to participate in a behind the scenes tour of the National Aquarium In Baltimore. The meeting will be held at NAIB under the direct supervision or Keri O'Neil & her assistant Heather. All Rules & Regulations will need to be followed. Please see attached Regulations.

Please Join us Sunday, October 12th at 5:45pm for an evening of fun and learning. The meeting time is PROMPTLY at 5:45pm at the security entrance, At 6pm we will enter the building and any STRAGGLERS WILL NOT BE ADMITTED

REGULATIONS

Here is the deal:

1. No guests are permitted to be alone in the building at any time, they must be accompanied by Heather or Keri at all times. Guests will NOT be allowed to tour the aquarium at their leisure, because no admission is being paid, however, we WILL be allowed to take a behind the scenes tour and see the coral tanks.

2. We will meet you at the Security entrance to the aquarium, this is near the submarine and is a set of sliding glass doors with black framework. It is past (toward the back of the Pier) the regular aquarium entrance. This is the same place we met previously.

3. The meeting time is PROMPTLY at 5:45pm at the security entrance, At 6pm we will enter the building and any STRAGGLERS WILL NOT BE ADMITTED.

4. Unfortunately, no food or drink will be allowed, not even in the classrooms. I tried, but they were pretty stringent on this. Not even sodas and cups. There are plenty of good restaurants and bars in the area if people would like to come early and grab a bite before the meeting.

Admittance Fee:

CMAS Members - FREE

Non Members - $5

The meeting will be held at :

National Aquarium in Baltimore

501 East Pratt Street

Baltimore, Maryland, 21202

From points north via I-95

1. Take I-95 south to Baltimore and go through the right tube of the Fort McHenry Tunnel.
  2. Once through the tunnel, stay in the right lane and take Exit 53, marked Downtown I-395.
  3. On I-395, stay in the center lane until you come to Pratt Street. Oriole Park at Camden Yards will be on your left.
  4. Turn right on Pratt Street. The Inner Harbor will be to your right. The Aquarium is 8 blocks on the right.
  5. Cars dropping off visitors may pull into Gunther Circle, on right. All others continue toward The Inner Harbor Garage/Landmark Parking.

Inner Harbor Garage/Landmark Parking
    100 S. Gay Street
    Cars and vans welcome.
    410-659-5825

From Frederick, Maryland and points west

1. Follow I-70 east to I-695 south to I-95 north and take Exit 53, marked Downtown I-395.
  2. On I-395, stay in the center lane until you come to Pratt Street. Oriole Park at Camden Yards will be on your left.
  3. Turn right on Pratt Street. The Inner Harbor will be to your right. The Aquarium is 8 blocks on the right.
  4. Cars dropping off visitors may pull into Gunther Circle, on right. All others continue toward The Inner Harbor Garage/Landmark Parking.

100 S. Gay Street
    Cars and vans welcome.
    410-659-5825

From Washington, DC and points south via I-95

1. Take I-95 north to Baltimore. Take Exit 53, marked Downtown I-395.
  2. On I-395, stay in the center lane until you come to Pratt Street. Oriole Park at Camden Yards will be on your left.
  3. Turn right on Pratt Street. The Inner Harbor will be to your right. The Aquarium is 8 blocks on the right.
  4. Cars dropping off visitors may pull into Gunther Circle, on right. All others continue toward The Inner Harbor Garage/Landmark Parking.

100 S. Gay Street
    Cars and vans welcome.
    410-659-5825

From Pennsylvania via I-83

1. Take I-83 south to Baltimore. Follow I-83 until expressway ends in Baltimore City.
  2. Turn right on Lombard Street and stay in the left lane.
  3. Turn left at Commerce Street and then left on Pratt Street. The Aquarium is 1 block on the right.

100 S. Gay Street
    Cars and vans welcome.
    410-659-5825

Edited by 90OcReef

I might like to bring my son and join up with you guys. You never said anything about children exceptions though. My son is 3 and what happens if and when I have to go (because he's bored)? Are early exits allowed?

Kids are fine, early exits are fine. The reason we will all need to ENTER the building at the same time is so as not to take away from the meeting because NAIB Staff members are running back and forth to let stragglers in. We unfortunately must be very strict with this.

Thanks

Jess