Nikon D60

st9z

Anybody have a Nikon D60? I'm thinking of buying it as my first DSLR and wanted to know if anybody here has one.

Look over the reviews. Many people actually prefer the D40. Fewer MP, but plenty for 99.9% of people. Its down to $400 + lens. I'd save the money on the 60 and get a better lens.

Overall the D60 doesn't have great marks and most people recommend sticking with either the 40x or 40.

I found what they changed... the X-Sync speed went from 1/500 sec. in the D40 to 1/200 sec in the 40x and 60. This is the maximum shutter speed where the film (CCD) is fully exposed. For indoor shots, it's not a big deal, but for outdoor shots it can be:

The maximum x-sync speed is the fastest shutterspeed at which the film is completely exposed.

It is important to have a high maximum sync speed if you want to use fill-in flash in bright light (for instance to fill in shadows in bright sun lit scenes), and still keep some control over what aperture you can use.

Bright scenes of course require small apertures and/or fast shutterspeeds. If the max. sync speed of a camera is slow and you do want to use fill flash in bright light, you will have to close the aperture until the correct setting is reached for the parts not needing fill flash. This typically means very small apertures, and the effect on depth of field that comes with that. Not always wanted. And because aperture alone control the effect of flash, you may need a very powerfull flash unit to be able to get the desired fill effect.

see www.kenrockwell.com for reviews of nikon and cannon - or his recommendation page: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

NOTE: if you go with the D40, maybe even the 60 - they do NOT have the little drive pin which operates some of the older auto focus lenses. Thus, with the the D40 line, you need to use DX only lenses.

I got a D70s refurbished from adorama for $525 + $39 for a 3 year warranty.

* Chris - 143gadgets turned me on to kenrockwell