Issues with introduction of anemone and maroon clown fish

elm66

Hi there,

I recently acquired an RBTA anemone and thought this would please my mated maroon clown fish. They have been in my tank for at least 1.5years without any anemone. Unfortunately upon acclimatization of the anemone, they rushed into it, with the male pulling one tentacle and the female somewhat hitting the envelop of the anemone as it retracted. I isolated the anemone in a plastic container in order to avoid the clowns interference. It reopened nicely and I decided after a day in the container to put it back in the tank. Of course the couple, again rushed in. I had hope that the night would have been quieter for the anemone but found it this morning, completely retracted (obviously trying to survive).

I put it back into the plastic container.

I am fearing for its survival if I put it back into the tank. Has anybody experienced such problem? and found a solution. I know the maroons can be fairly rough.

I would appreciate any feedback, as I do need to find a solution because the anemone needs to be fed and I can not leave it in the plastic container for a long time.

Thanks

Eric

PS: the container is a transparent usual food container in which I have drilled small holes. It is wedged in between the glass and a rock.

I have never had any issues with my maroon clowns hurting an anemone. Are you sure you are not being an over protective parent. :)

I would think that unless the anemone is extremely small it should be fine. One option would be to isolate the clowns until the anemone has settled into your tank, maybe a week.

I've read about this on www.wetwebmedia.com. Each fish has its own personality and apparently some anemonefishes are just brutes. They will pull, rip, tear, push, prod or whatever to get the anemone into the exact position it wants it.

One consideration - did you place the anem right into the clown's territory? Maybe removing it and placing as far away from them as possible would help?

I've read about this on www.wetwebmedia.com. Each fish has its own personality and apparently some anemonefishes are just brutes. They will pull, rip, tear, push, prod or whatever to get the anemone into the exact position it wants it.

One consideration - did you place the anem right into the clown's territory? Maybe removing it and placing as far away from them as possible would help?

I do not seem overly protective ... I think.

It is correct that I had put the anemone in the clown's territory and was also thinking in putting the anemone in the opposite corner to check if it makes a difference. I may also try to extract the clowns (not too easy) and put them in a separate small tank.

Thanks for your feedbacks. I will keep adding on this thread if I see things changing.

Eric

General rule for anemone to clowns sizing is 3:1. Maroons can be quite rough on the anemones, especially when the anemone is not large enough for them. If the anemone can get it's foot and column into a cavelike protected area, it should be fine as long as the clowns are not biting off all the tentacles.