Ugh.  10 gallons on breand new carpet.

Guest Kimo

Guest Kimo

Well, it finally happened to me.  My skimmer overflowed last night and dumped 10 gallons onto my brand new carpet.  Luckily the carpet is on a slab, so there's not floor underneath to rot away.

I extracted everything I could this morning and peeled the carpet back - The pad is SOAKED.  This is not looking good.

I used 1.5" PVC fittings to hold the carpet away from the pad on the left side of the tank (the water ran across the room - affected about a 7x2 area) and I folded back what I could.  I have a walmart 20" box fan blowing on it on high right now.  Hopefully it will dry out without destroying the pad.

What do you all think?  Any advice?

This SUCKS.

Jamie

If you don't own one, rent a carpet cleaner and clean the heck out of the carpet.  Do the affected spot twice and the whole carpet once.

Turn the thurmostat up a few degrees to remove the moisture faster.

The carpet pad will probably be fine.  Thing you really want to prevent is mold growing there, and drying it out like you are should work fine.

Congrats on christining the new carpet!

What kind of skimmer was it that pumped that much water?

1) shop vac

2) dehumidifier

I also agree with the carpet cleaner.  We've got one of the portable vacuum type ones.  I've used it a couple times....  Depending on the carpet, you really don't need to clean it, just suck all the water out then use a dehumidifier or fan.

Guest Kimo

Thanks for the responses!

I was using a MR-2 from myreef creations.  It's the first time I've plumbed it externally.  My waste vessel (a 3 gallon carboy) filled up and overflowed.  I don't know what happened with the skimmer - I guess the input was more than the output!

The skimer was full of water when I found it and it was just overflowing at a trickle so I think that this was a slow process all night.

LESSONS LEARNED:  

1.) Don't mess with the skimmer and then go to bed.

2.) In sump skimmers are GOOD

Yeah- the first one is key.  I never screw around with my skimmer unless I am going to be home to check on it for a few hours, tempting as it may be.

Guest JFish
maybe this would be a good reason to get an auto shut off waste collector...I have one for my MR-1 and it works very well...if it's full no air passes through so the water just runs through the skimmer without air mixing in.  If I didn't have this I would surely have had a water spill like you just had after my fiddling with the skimmer in the early days.

John, GREAT IDEA!  I have learning from others, as I hope to have a large tank one day.  I have seen kimo's setup.  It look great, it never occurred to me that the Pskimmer would over flow.  I simple float switch would have saved the day here.  Live and learn  :O

Guest JFish

I wasn't talking about a float switch rather an auto stopping waste container.  Here is a pic of what I mean:

waste_collector.jpg

The air has to pass through this for the skimmer to work...as the skimmate rises in the collection chamber it eventually causes a ping pong ball or the like to float up inside the PVC and stop the flow of air to the skimmer.  This makes the skimmer just push water through without mixing with air so the water just passes through the box of the skimmer and no skimming takes place.

The waste containers are great for the skimate output, but if the water return gets "blocked" you will still have water come out the becket injector air inputs, blow the cap off the top of the skimmer, etc.   :O

Proved this twice during plumbing experiments  :(

Given the new plumbing design, I would check for potential back pressure on the output as well.

Is the skimmer water output above the water level?

Did the sump water level rise?

Good luck.

Guest Kimo

Hrm...That's an interesting point.  The skimmer output is just even with water level - Like this:

=--------

=

=

=

Where the = is the bulkhead and the - is the water level.  The sump level did not rise.  I don't know how the output could have been blocked - I have a lifereef copy sump.  

Heh maybe I'll go skimmerless  ???

It looks like the damage was more than I thought - The water ran along the wall and under the carpet on the other side of the tank.  I need to rip out the pad, I CANNOT get mildew/mold.  I'm allergic to both.  And it's a new house - That would be VERY dissapointing.

Heh I even thought about breaking down the tank.  But only for .00001 seconds.  :D

How can I get as much water out from under the tank as possible?  It is an Oceanic stand - Flat piece of Oak on the bottom.  It is directly on the carpet.  I am going to pull the carpet up as much as I can around the tank and cut out the pad along the edges where it is wet.  I'll then try to dry it out for a week or so.  Then I'll get a new pad and put it down, go rent a carpet kicker and reinstall this thing.

Anyone here have experience laying a carpet?

How does this plan sound?

This has been a MAJOR PITA!!  If you put a tank on carpet DON'T SPILL!  This will be the last tank I have on carpet.

Jamie