Does it really make a difference?

davelin315

I still feel that you shouldn't be looking for more flow, but find a minimum acceptable flow. This is why I feel a reactor is so beneficial, because you can control the flow. If you are running carbon 24/7 which I do, the water will go through the reactor it will just take longer to do so. Giving the carbon the contact time to do the job it is designed to do is what is important. Just my opinion.

Does anyone think carbon can be removing the slime coat from the tangs?

Just to confirm, you're saying you have the outflow of the reactor going through a filter sock to catch any dust debris? That way you can have more flow through the reactor.

Are we back on topic again for some reason? If so then yes, kinda. Heres the deal: You have to keep enough flow through it to keep it rolling a bit. Carbon is porous and when fresh it takes very little to keep it tumbling, as it's pores start to fill up (good right?), you actually should adjust the flow to keep it's now heavier mass rolling, if you don't dead spots will form inside the reactor and you end up with a detritus trap. If your a tad lazy and don't want to adjust your flow then set it on the faster end of things and use a filter bag to catch the little bits of dust that are tumbled off during the first week or so (what I do). The equipment and filter media of choice are only as good as the operator ;)