My First 75g Reef Tank

Vader

The tank has been up and running for some time now but there's not a lot of coral, but slowly I add one here, and another there. I've added a few pics and still haven't mastered the camera. In reality, I need to get a camera for greater detail and close ups....but all in time. The pics I have just don't bring out the full color, but it's there.

I have many hobbies other than reef'n but I can truly say that this hobby can give the greatest returns and/or rewards, but on the flip side, give out the greatest disappointments. I guess that's one reason why I really love this hobby so much. I hope you enjoy the pics and someday I will get some real quality pics.

Hurray on winning the Hair Algae battle. You've definitely reclaimed the needed space for your growing corals. Things seem to be coming along very well and in no time, your tank will be filled up with all sorts of eye candy ;)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's just a quick up-date on what the tank looks like. Yesterday I drove down to Dr. Mac's and pick up the pink birds nest and the clown fish.

gallery_2631516_394_25525.jpg

gallery_2631516_394_681158.jpg

gallery_2631516_394_949558.jpg

gallery_2631516_394_91288.jpg

Sweet setup. What did you think of Dr. Macs setup?

Thanks, I did a lot of reading before setting up the display system and I'm very happy with it's performance. I still want more flow, so around the end of this year, I'm going to add one of those VorTech's and get some wave motion going.

Dr. Mac has a real nice setup and it is clean, squeaky clean. He was in the process of moving his invert display area over to another display and it looks like they are going to stock more coral at his retail store. It won't be long till I go down there again.

Grats on the tank Vader!!! Good job on being patient with algae and all the nuisances. Keep it up!!

Thanks, it's been a long road and a constant battle but it's paying off. I just have some terrible water where I live, but I think I have it down now. I buy sediment filters from HD because I go through them every 3 months. Here is what one looks likes after 3 months. I'm also been playing around with the system as far as, how often I do water changes and I keep a log of everything that I do, because I have made some mistakes and I can never remember what I did and when I did it, so the log really helps.

gallery_2631516_394_767733.jpg

gallery_2631516_394_129861.jpg

Nice multi-noded birdsnest. Is that a True or false perc?

I really gotta get my hands on one of those Magnetic bulletin boards. Makes organizing/tracking printed logs much simpler.

Btw, where did you pick up those plastic R/O containers?

Nice multi-noded birdsnest. Is that a True or false perc?

I really gotta get my hands on one of those Magnetic bulletin boards. Makes organizing/tracking printed logs much simpler.

Btw, where did you pick up those plastic R/O containers?

The Birdsnest came from Dr. Mac's retail store and it wasn't listed as a true or a false, so I'm not sure. I bought it just because I like the color. The containers come from my water treatment company who come out to my buildng. I flushed them out for a month using several gallons of vinegar and they hold 15 gallons each.

• 2 months later...

It's been awhile since an update, but things are moving along pretty good. I had a spell with low salinity. User error, for some reason I was reading the wrong scale. :blush: I was also getting sloppy with the water parameters but starting in July, I've stepped it up and test once a week and perform water changes once a month. I've raised my lighting and my corals are starting to get their color back and I've turn back my time on the day lights to 5 hours. The sand was getting some king of growth, so I ordered 40 Nassarius snails from Reef Cleaners and they did an ok job, but the sand wasn't as clean as I wanted. Yesterday I picked up a Orange Spotted Sleeper Goby and he is doing a great job cleaning up things. I also was able to find a male clown and the pair get along great.

Last month I set up a remote deep sand bed and I have low water flow running through it. Not that I was having a problem with Nitrates, just wanted to see if I would see a change in tank condition. The tank is realy looking good and I just can't seem to stop buying corals.

I keep the water at:

Cal: 450

Mag: 1400

Alk: 9 dkh

Sal: 1.026

pH: 8.1 - 8.2

Temp 80*

Nitrate: less than 2ppm

Here is my tank as of this morning

8-9-09tanka001.jpg

These are the snails going into the tank

tank7-1-09004.jpg

Here are the clowns

8-9-09ClownFish001.jpg

8-9-09ClownFish002.jpg

While I picking up the Sleeper Goby, I some how had these in my cooler when I got home??

8-9-09tank003.jpg

8-9-09tank002.jpg

8-9-09tank001.jpg

Just to show how raising the lighting did for me.

This was taken on 7-19-09

coral7-19-09.jpg

And this was taken yesterday, can't wait to see what it will look like in another month.

8-8-09coral.jpg

One of these days I will get a real camera....maybe Santa will be good to me this year

Thanks for looking

The tank is looking good Vader. It's nice to see you back on the boards.

Thanks Tyler,

I started a new job about 3 months ago and I have been busy starting up a new building in DC. As things settle down, I'll have more free time to play.

Very nice. Are those sunflower zoas?

Thanks,

I have no idea what they are, I picked them up at Exotic Aquatics and they have the names written on the glass, but if I don't write it down, I'll never remember them. I'm sure I'll be back up there soon and if they still have them, I'll write the names down.

Please do if you remember. They look like the Sunflower Zoas from Dr. Macs my bf has been looking to get. Thanks, and great job again.

Today was a good day...I finally added a RBTA to the tank and it's about 3".

8-16-09RBTA001.jpg

8-16-09RBTA002.jpg

8-16-09Tank002.jpg

Are the Clowns interested in it?

Are the Clowns interested in it?

They haven't really looked at it yet or taken much intrest with it.....I'm hoping they do....but time will tell.

Well.....I have my fingers crossed :bounce:

• 1 month later...

Thought it would be a good time to add another update. I've only had my RBTA for about 2 months and it has split already. Both clowns are hosting both RBTA's and sometime soon, I'm going to put up one of the RBTA's for sale. This weekend I visited EA and came home with a red/green chalice and a red/neon green favia plus I think it was last month, I added a coral banded shrimp. Ever since I've added the orange spotted sleeper goby, my flat worm problem has just about disappeared. YEA!!! This guy has completely cleaned up the sand bed and the worms. I would say that he was one of the best purchaces I've made.

It's going to be soon that I'm going to have to buy new bulbs for the fixture. I still want 2 - 250w HQI MH lights, but just don't have the cash for them. But it sure would be easier to get those MH fixtures if I stop buying corals. :rolleyes:

Water levels are pretty good, other than I got a bit lazy latey and my ALK dropped to 5.6 dkh, but over the last several days, I've brought it up to 9.7 dkh. It's fun to see how over time with adding corals and the coral growing, how the water parameters get used up quicker.

Hope you enjoy the pics as much as I enjoy taking them.

gallery_2631516_394_891252.jpg

gallery_2631516_394_664962.jpg

gallery_2631516_394_411483.jpg

gallery_2631516_394_69013.jpg

gallery_2631516_394_1175788.jpg

gallery_2631516_394_81915.jpg

gallery_2631516_394_243963.jpg

gallery_2631516_394_685801.jpg

Yay! an update...

Tank's looking great man!

Very nice recent additions to the tank, if I may say. Seeing your new Sleeper Goby just reminded me that I need to get a sand stirrer of some kind for the Display.

Yay! an update...

Tank's looking great man!

Very nice recent additions to the tank, if I may say. Seeing your new Sleeper Goby just reminded me that I need to get a sand stirrer of some kind for the Display.

Thanks Dan. yea, that sleeper has realy cleaned up my sand. Some of the sand gets on the rock and lower corals, but all I do is use a baster to blow it off every now and then. It's a trade off I can live with.

Thanks Dan. yea, that sleeper has realy cleaned up my sand. Some of the sand gets on the rock and lower corals, but all I do is use a baster to blow it off every now and then. It's a trade off I can live with.

That's not a bad trade off at all for a spotless sandbed ;)