T5 how many ?

moga

I am planning to add some T5 unit to my 250W metal halide over my 72 cube.

i am thinking to get retro unit..

how many should I put and any brand and place to get for great unit?

Metal halide is Hamilton PFO hood with fan in it..don't want to give up the metal halide...

how many should i put..any bulb recommendation?~

Moga,

As many as you can fit. :) Get an IC660 and try out 4 bulbs first. If that doesn't cut it and you still have some room to add more bulbs, get another IC660 and add some more.

Moga,

As many as you can fit. :) Get an IC660 and try out 4 bulbs first. If that doesn't cut it and you still have some room to add more bulbs, get another IC660 and add some more.

any place to buy those you recommend?~

Depends.

If you want to spend a lot of money, almost all the etailers sell them for the same price. It's just that some offer free shipping and some don't.

Check out http://www.reefgeek.com

If you have time to waste, check out the classifieds on (1) reefcentral - people selling their equipment everyday or (2) ebay - don't really like ebay, but you can get some things from there.

For me, I'd go with reefcentral if I was strapped for cash. If I wasn't, I'd go with reefgeek. Or if I was in a huge hurry and wanted everything today for a little more, I'd just go to Aquaco or BRK.

peronsally, I don't see the point in spending an extra $80 per ballast just to get 10% more out of the bulbs and the need to change them every 6 months. I'd just get a regular T5-HO ballast if I were you. You've already got 250W MH which is probably enough for a 72 cube.

If you were just going to use T5s over the tank, then I would say get the Icecap ballasts. 2 IceCap 430s (to drive 4 bulbs total) or 2 Icecap 660s (to drive up to 8 bulbs)

You want each bulb to have it own reflector otherwise you are wasting T5 light PAR. Single reflectors focus the light down to the tank and is the reason many have switched. Don't skimp on lighting. Buy a TEK or aquactinics fixture. If you want to cut cost build your own with a retro kit from reefgeek.