Help me select my 150w DE HQI bulbs

Larry Grenier

I'll be putting 2 of these over my 75 gal (20") along with 2 96w PCs or 2 110w VHOs (1 actinic and 1 50/50 or 2 50/50s).

I'm not asking whether to go with single-ended or 250w.  I've already started getting the process rolling on DIY.  

Here are my choices from HelloLights.

A) 10,000K Ushio - $84 each

B) 20,000K Ushio - $75 (Michaelg just put 1 over his 2# gal).

C) 20,000K Radium - $84

D) 20,000K XDE - $55 on sale (HL says whiter than B or C).

Your advice would be appreciated.

ps. Grim, feel free to comment, I don't have to shop HelloLights.

Probably go with the 10K  Icecap make or resells one as well.  With that much actinic, I think it will be real blue, unless you do what I plan to do and only use the actinics for sunrise/sunset effect (if you do 2 actinics).  Actually, I think any of the combos will be fine.  If you like the blue look, get the 20K bulb- I personally do not think it is too blue, others might.  Really a matter of what you like IMO.  I know nothing about some of the bulbs that are mentioned though.  You could start with 3 fluoro bulbs (2 50:50 and 1 actinic) and play around with them and use the extra when the time comes for replacement.

Guest Scott324
I used the 20k Ushio over a 30 gallon tank and was very dissapointed, too dim.  I would also suggest a 10k bulb, there is a world of difference, IME.

Ocean Encounter is selling the IceCap HQI 10K's at $49ea and was offering them to Reefland members at $45ea.

btw:  I am buying 10 150wt HQI's if you want to jump on an order to try and get some better pricing:

5 IceCaps from Ocean Encounter for <$49 ( I am on Reefland)

3 Ushio 5200s from Innovative Lighting at $35ea

2 Ushio Blues from Innovative Lighting at $53ea.

Have fun.

Very interesting traveller7.  I didn't know that Icecap had a 150 DE bulb... any reviews online?  I'd like to see about getting in on a group discount.  $45 is cheap if the bulbs are any good.  I assume they use the same M81 ballast like the ushios and other de 150w bulbs.

I have not tried out the IceCap 150 HQI's either but I need 5 for my lagoon and it is a pretty good price so what the heck  :p

The others are just for comparison, frag color retention, etc.

I don't think the prices will get much better on these but we are fairly close by each other to skimp on shipping :)

Drop me a wire if you want to jump on, I'll be ordering tonight.