Sand Dollars?

newfish

(edited)

I was back home in Atlantic Beach NC, and happened to come across a washed up sand dollar and it got me thinking how cool it would be to have one in my tank.

Would a sand dollar make it in a saltwater tank. Can you buy sand dollars from LFS, or online somewhere that are suited for Aquariums. Would the type of substrate matter?

Just wondering. :biggrin:

THanks

Josh

Edited by newfish

I don't think it's a good idea. I got one in my shipment of live sand from TBS. It lasted for about 2 months in the 180 then died. Just not enough for it to eat I assume. It was a really cool critter but I wish I didn't have it in my tank. I wish that it were still in the ocean.

Sandy

From what I understand they will decimate your sandbed critters. Smarsh's experience is typical. They will live for a few months and then when they have exhausted the food supply in your sandbed they die. They just eat more than your sandbed can produce.

yeah I felt so bad. It was a really neat critter. I would have never bought one. I was shocked when I saw that guy in the bag of sand. I didn't think it was alive until it burried itself in the sand in my tank. I threw it in just in case. It never really went any deeper than about 1 inch in the sand. When the lights would come on it would rise to just below the surface. I now know how they eat, I always wondered that, but I didn't want to find out this way. I did find out also that they are related to urchins.

Sandy