The Kerrnel's 55g Build

(edited)

Well, I've been slowly managing to get some pieces put together for the new system, so I figure now is about as good a time as any to start my build thread. The tank I'm using and the size, is subject to change since I haven't drilled the holes in it yet. If the tank shatters, I may go with a bigger one. :wink: Stuff in red I haven't procured yet...all in due time.

The Tank

55g freebie ~ 15years old

2 overflow holes and 2 return holes (may only use one of each...we'll see)

60lbs of Liverock

20lbs of crushed coral or sand, haven't decided

DIY stand and hood

The Gear

20g sump w/makeshift refugium

MAG 7 return

Red Sea Skimmer (200g rating)

Rio pump to drive Skimmer

Koralia 4 PH

MaxiJet 1200 PH

Heater

4x54W 48" Tek T5 kit

Fishies

2 x Clarkii's

2 x Pyjama or Bangghai Cardinals

3 x Catalina Goby's

1 x Tomini Tang

1 x Wrasse of some sort

1 x Velvet Damsel - debating this...heard horror stories but darn he looks awesome

Corals

Mostly softies and LPS with a bunch of zoos and palys

Couple of leathers

Hammer coral

Clove polyp

Shrooms

So that's the plan anyway. I still need to drill the tank, so once that is successful, I'll start in on building the stand...no point building the stand if I shatter it and go with a bigger one. After the stand is built, time to soak the tank and check for leaks. Assuming all that works out, plumb the sump and return and test it out, then get the hood built. Once everything checks out, time to load the rocks, sand, fill'er up, and turn it on.

Hopefully I'll have pics of the process along the way. Got family in town until mid-july so I'm aiming for an August live date. The fish will come later. Might try drilling the holes this weekend and painting the back.

Edited by The Kerrnel