Rio 800 powerhead and CPR Bak Pak skimmer

Amuze

Ok, I replaced the powerhead on my skimmer with a Rio 800. Two things, it's a little noisy (more of a rattle than a hum) and the skimmer isn't foaming up. I've tried adjusting the cup with no luck. Are all Rio's noisy or should I go try another one? Am I supposed to hook any air lines up to the powerhead? Not sure why it's not making foam...

Ok, I replaced the powerhead on my skimmer with a Rio 800. Two things, it's a little noisy (more of a rattle than a hum) and the skimmer isn't foaming up. I've tried adjusting the cup with no luck. Are all Rio's noisy or should I go try another one? Am I supposed to hook any air lines up to the powerhead? Not sure why it's not making foam...

Should be an airline.

Should be an airline.

That goes where? The only port for any line in on the nozzle and that spits water out. The 600 had two ports by the propeller, this 800 does have any.

is there an intake in front of the powerhead, like that has little slots in it? there would be a hole for an airline there - has a little rim around it. Ot maybe the powerhead needs to have an adapter. The airline would be before the intake or on the intake.

is there an intake in front of the powerhead, like that has little slots in it? there would be a hole for an airline there - has a little rim around it. Ot maybe the powerhead needs to have an adapter. The airline would be before the intake or on the intake.

Ok, what I had to do was take the plate for the impeller off the old one since it had two ports to connect lines to and mate that with the new unit. Now I'm making bubbles. It's a bit more quiet too. Just the typical powerhead buzz, but no more rattle. I'm satisfied for today. Next step is to figure how to mount an inline UV. :) I also made a major water change and am only running my lights 2 hours daily for awhile to beat this dreaded algae bloom. I'll run it this way for a couple of weeks or so. Hopefully my water quality improves.

Ok, what I had to do was take the plate for the impeller off the old one since it had two ports to connect lines to and mate that with the new unit. Now I'm making bubbles. It's a bit more quiet too. Just the typical powerhead buzz, but no more rattle. I'm satisfied for today. Next step is to figure how to mount an inline UV. :) I also made a major water change and am only running my lights 2 hours daily for awhile to beat this dreaded algae bloom. I'll run it this way for a couple of weeks or so. Hopefully my water quality improves.

Glad you got the skimmer thing worked out. I think someone said recently that UV doesn't work well inline because the inline flow is too much for a uv to kill what it is supposed to kill.

(edited)

Glad you got the skimmer thing worked out. I think someone said recently that UV doesn't work well inline because the inline flow is too much for a uv to kill what it is supposed to kill.

Hey yeah thanks. I was reading about water flow adjustment when using one, depending on what you are trying to kill. It's worth it to try it, but for now I'm going to see how things are in a couple of weeks before I dip into that.

Edited by audible