In tank ICH treatment

steveoutlaw

Is there a reef safe ICH treatment? I don't have a QT tank anymore and my Powder Brown Tang has it. I'm getting a UV sterilizer this week but I want to do something to try to get it off of it. Any ideas?

Is there a reef safe ICH treatment? I don't have a QT tank anymore and my Powder Brown Tang has it. I'm getting a UV sterilizer this week but I want to do something to try to get it off of it. Any ideas?

I've heard a 5 min fresh water dip will cause the ich to drop off right away but of course when you put the tang back in the infected tank new ich will reattach. Some have argued the stress of the dip has its downside.

Some swear by it. I cerainly don't. You will get any and all answers in-between. Seach Steven Pro's article on reef safe ick treatments.

I have used it twice to treat my system and once it killed some things in my tank (anemones lost their nematocysts almost immediately and mixed bag of invert deaths) and I used it again recently on my 300 and it worked great and I didn't lose anything that I know of and it actually did the trick. I kept my skimmer running, contrary to their recommendations, but I also dosed more often than they suggested. I also am not sure if the fish actually recovered on their own or not, but I do think that this second time I used it helped them to recover. I was very worried about a royal gramma that had survived our fire and didn't want to lose it. My tangs were also covered in ich and so it was either watch them all succumb or try to do something to treat it.

Thanks guys. I'm going to pick some up......don't think I have any other choice. I'll keep you posted how it works.

Steve O,

i just got over a ich infected clown........by using garlic and some probiotic bateria stuff....i dont know which worked or if it was the both together?

Bryan

Steve O,

i just got over a ich infected clown........by using garlic and some probiotic bateria stuff....i dont know which worked or if it was the both together?

Bryan

I'm soaking the nori in garlic and mixing the food with garlic as well. I just want something to give them a little kick in the A$$ and get them off the fish.

I'm soaking the nori in garlic and mixing the food with garlic as well. I just want something to give them a little kick in the A$$ and get them off the fish.

right.....

Well, I think that kick ich helped my fish, until something else killed them. My yellow tang made it. I also ran an UV and got a cleaner shrimp that got to pickin' as soon as it hit the tank.

Some where between the above and a healthy diet one fish out of 8 made it. But like I said it was some other creepin' ugly that killed them not ick in the end.

By the way, my meat coral looks like it is going out-Kick ick? I don't know but it didn't help it.

(edited)

I'm going to start trying Kick Ich today to see if it can help. A good friend of mine used it in his tank and had great success. My only worry is the Anenome. Hopefully it won't be affected.

The way he used Kick Ich was he did the correct dosage with a water change each week. He'd turned his protein skimmer off before adding it, let the powerheads circulate the water around for a half hour and then turned everything back on. It took a few weeks (4-6) and at the end there were no more Ich problems again.

He also only used natural nutrients in his tank.

My Powder Brown has a couple of Ick spots this morning and is for some reason nursing a fin... So I need to try something now.

Edited by audible